Mad Hatter/topsy Turvy - How To Create & Price

Decorating By sassycleo Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm by -K8memphis

sassycleo Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 9

I just got a request for the following Mad Hatter Cake. I've never done one so first off how do you figure out serving sizes on these odd shaped cakes?

She wants a cake to serve 130.

Also any thing special in the planning of it?

How do you figure out and come up with your pricing for these cakes?

8 replies
sassycleo Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 9

Anyone have any idea on how to price this type of cake ? I really need your help!!!!

Petit-four Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:08pm
post #3 of 9

Here's 2 methods:

Also, Collette Peters books? She is known for these cakes -- maybe someone owns one, and could tell you if she gives how-to info.

Pricing -- maybe check some websites, and see if they mention pricing for these -- I'd imagine probably priced similar to a 3-D cake...

Hope this helps!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 9

They start at about $7 per serving plus I'd add on more for that many callas. Is that four tiers? I'd prolly go more like $8 minimum. the bottom tier I'd prolly do regular--not too whimsy-fied.

I would figure on enough batter to serve like about a third more folks like 180 then with a bit of carving and all and the wonkiness factor of some of the servings that should about get you 130.

And here's a link for another way to do it. I mean I always do BKeith's way.

What a cool cake!

sassycleo Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 9

Thanks I appreciate the input. I wasn't sure what realistic pricing would be. I've got a hard time in my area getting $4/svg for fondant. icon_sad.gif So I doubt I'll get this one, but it's worth a shot!

Thanks again!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #6 of 9

I mean you pretty much need to determine how you are going to make it, I mean which method you will use before you can determine sizes. I didn't look at the cake central links but I know whimsical Bakehouse has another method too.

Four tiers might be too big for 130 servings. But with a tt sometimes you have to go way too big to make it work but again depending on which method you use.

So that would be the next decision if I was making it.

Petit-four Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:48pm
post #7 of 9

Actually, I would be interested in hearing from TT veterans -- which method do you use? The inset method (CC tutorial with carving) seems very complicated, and I wonder how hard it is to take apart to serve. Can you do Sarsi's method higher than 2 tiers?

(Sorry to take over your thread...)

icon_redface.gif And, if someone has CP's book -- are the directions in there different?

Hope you get it, Sassycleo...! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:56pm
post #8 of 9

Because I can't bake for myself and because this is therapy for me I figured it out a bit how I'd do it if I used BKeith's method and the servings so...

His method is using three different size cakes per tier -- I trim mine minimally so there's still carmelized cake around some of the edges. I don't trim off all the edges and so it retains a little strength.

I would do a

then a

then an

all sitting on a

If you take petal cake measurements which cut the least servings--you get approx

8 servings
20 servings
38 servings
77 servings - regualar 14" round

Which will just get you there but there's more batter used in those top three tiers too because they are taller than 4" so that would be a what I would make for that.

Just some topsy turvy thoughts for you. And I hope you get it too!!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 9

And those sizes are not real scary either. I mean you start getting a tt that's bigger than 12 14 inches on the top edge and you need to start doubling up on the old prozac dosage.

And I think those sizes will work well for that dimension of stripes--I totally dig that cake.

Ok, shutting up now I promise. (But I love to plan cakes, vicariously is ok 'cause easier clean up.)

But actually if you cheated and did each tier like a

I think that would be better to add that half inch back into the bottom layer of eah tier.

So you'd be baking

And just trim that bottom layer in each tier a bit.
I think that's really a better call.

Quote by @%username% on %date%