Need Some Ideas...trees, Wheat, Promised Land...argh!

Decorating By fluttercakes Updated 7 Jul 2008 , 5:56am by arnab

fluttercakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:19pm
post #1 of 5

I'm hoping all you wonderful cakesters out there might be able to shed some light on a cake that I am meeting with the customer about tomorrow. I need some ideas! I'm kinda fumbling around trying to figure out exactly how to go about doing a cake like this.

Here's the story:

A woman contacts me via email last week and requests a religious type cake for a 40th Birthday Party for around 50-75 ppl, and I have been in contact with her a couple times since. She wants the cake to be a sheet cake with the Jordon River in the middle of it, a desert scene on one side of the river, and a lush landscape on the other with a waterfall, olive trees ( in the heck to I make fluffy trees?!?!), vineyards, water wells, and a large rock in the center to represent Christ. She also wanted some figures in there (4 giants guarding the Promised Land and a guy holding a flaming sword with angels around him), however, she is thinking that she isn't going to use the figures since she said "they have been difficult to find in the right size" so I would have to make them, but I really think adding those figures would be too much for a cake...too busy.

We are meeting tomorrow to discuss the cake, and I am to bring a couple of sketches plus a couple of different price points. I'm figuring that I will have a full fondant and gumpaste price estimate, a fondant and buttercream price estimate, and a full buttercream price estimate, but I need help with how to go about starting some sketches. Need some ideas!

On the phone she sounded as if they are expecting the price to be higher then the average cake, but I am wondering what they are thinking a average cake price is...$1.00 a serving? Um, no...not for something this time consuming! In her email she even stated that she would like "molding with gumpaste or whatever clever tools you may have", so I know she knows it will be more labor intensive. So, any ideas?

TIA, and I appreciate your help ! thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:28pm
post #2 of 5

Stacie -

I wish you would have mentioned this last week!

Everyone here is going to tell you to not let her take advantage of you, so unless you are sure you can stand firm on your price, don't take the job.

But I ask the pros here to help you, as they can better advise you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

fluttercakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 12:40pm
post #3 of 5

Oh, I can stand firm on my price...I haven't backed down from my prices yet! I'm definitely not cheap, but I'm not ultra expensive either especially compared to the other bakeries around here.

I was going to give her a couple of price points just because I have no idea what her budget is...that is why I'm going with simple, mid-range, and all-out ideas for her. I have some ideas in mind, but how to get it all onto a cake and still have the cake flow well is messing with my head!

Any ideas? Thanks!

playingwithsugar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 5

Who knows, perhaps all she is asking for is in her budget. Wouldn't that be nice?

In the meantime, she is asking for a sugary tribute to the musical, Godspell, including the scenery. I'm not knocking her love and appreciation for her religion, but wow, even if it is in her budget, that's going to be one busy cake! Perhaps too busy.

If her budget is not what she needs for what she wants, offer her a different scene. Personally, I like the story of the loaves and fishes best. Think about that story, and others, and come up with simpler alternatives for her.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

arnab Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:56am
post #5 of 5

I live in Jordan for the past 3 years. ( Now I am back home in PR) If you allow me via e mail I could send you some pictures that might inspire you. Also you could google Jordan River or Valley and some photos might come. The Valley is not as lush as a We might think and the greens are kind of faded. Lots of beiges and browns. This cake sounds like arround 20 hours of work. WOW!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%