Fondant Decorations: Are They Supposed To Harden???

Decorating By mbarbi Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm by DianaMarieMTV

mbarbi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:25am
post #1 of 9

are they supposed to harden?? like when you make flowers and say like shoes and stars decorations???

what about when making stripes? if they harden, the fondant will break and you won't be able to contour it to your cake...pls help...i'm confused!

thanks so much in advance!

8 replies
TexasSugar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:53am
post #2 of 9

It depends on what you are doing. If it is flowers or a shoe like you said then you want them to be dried first.

You can dry some other decorations, but if you want to form it to a cake, like the example of a strip going over the edge you do want to put it in fresh.

Same things for cut outs. You can pre dry them, but if they are going on a round cake they won't lay 'flat" agaisnt the cake. You would need a fresh cut out for that.

CakeDiva73 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:58am
post #3 of 9

Fondant dries but slower than gumpaste and wayyy slower if you cut the fondant really thick. I have always wondered if the fondant accents attached to a cake will harden too much and be less edible? I know the stars on wires, etc. dry up and that's okay since I feel like they are separate but I don't know if a nice slice of cake with BC and a stiff MMF piece stuck to it would be tasty? icon_smile.gif

2sdae Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:12am
post #4 of 9

I cant help but think I wouldn't wanna eat a cake slice with 4 inches of fondant and bits of hard decoration on it, yuck.

KathysCC Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:23am
post #5 of 9

Fondant does dry, but not as hard as gumpaste. It cracks easily after it is dry. If you want rock hard decorations, then use gumpaste. For shoes and flowers that won't be eaten it works better. If you want something that will still be pliable enough to eat then use fondant. It works good for figures too.

If you want to shape the fondant to the cake then you can't precut it. You have to put it on the cake when it is still soft. Fondant put on buttercream stays kind of soft and I notice that Satin Ice kind of blends into the buttercream a little so it stays really soft.

OCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:09am
post #6 of 9

I pre-cut 4x0.5" strips of fondant & let them dry for 24-48hrs (various times), and then put them on a BC covered wedding cake. I also prepared fondant daisies up to a week in advance. At the Reception, I watched the Bride feed a daisy to her new husband & I cringed like "oh no, she let him EAT that", because I do not like the taste of fondant... but the people around me who didn't know I made the cake were saying that it was good (I was also a guest of the wedding & was able to "spy")... Later when I cut it, I realized that even with 3 days of "drying time", it hadn't completely dried - and like someone else on this post said, I think the BC helped it stay moist. But even the daisies which weren't touching any BC, were still soft enough to chew without crunching.

mbarbi Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:23am
post #7 of 9

thanks so much for the replies! =)

beeba Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 9

i made a cake for the fourth i frosted it with butter cream and i have bought the little Wilton set of primary fondant. i rolled it out and cut it and placed them and it looked pretty good but the next day they had melted into the frosting and the ones on the side melted down. im new to decorating so im not sure what i did wrong. i really want to use fondant but am afraid itl melt again. was i supposed to refrigerate it?

DianaMarieMTV Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 9

2sdae,
If you decorate a cake with fondant/gumpaste pieces that are very hard, it's generally a good idea to remove the inedible decorations before the cake is served. I usually remove any flowers or gumpaste decorations and set them on the cake board. Sometimes kids like to munch on them. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%