How Do I Keep Fondant From "sweating"?

Decorating By andysprite Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm by andysprite

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:53am
post #1 of 6

Below is a picture of my first fondant wedding cake. The wedding was held outside and thanks to the Arkansas humidity the cake seemed to 'sweat' all evening. Is there any way to avoid that?
LL

5 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:04am
post #2 of 6

That's a beautiful cake!

The only time I ever have fondant sweat is when the cake has been in the fridge.

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:06am
post #3 of 6

Mine don't sweat in the fridge...they sweat when they've been out of the fridge....I'm not sure how to stop it though...sorry icon_sad.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #4 of 6

I believe that's what Texas Rose meant.. when you take them out of the fridge.. they sweat.

It's inevidible I'm afraid. Like anything you remove from somewhere cold and place somewhere warm and humid, a cake is going to sweat as the moisture in the air condenses on its cooler surface. Given enough time though it will dry. I find it's best to bring your cake to room temp before taking it outdoors. I place the cake in an air conditioned room and then turn off the AC and then when they cake is to temp take it outside. The closer the cake is to the outdoor temp, the less chance you will have for the condensation.

icon_smile.gif

OCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:18am
post #5 of 6

That is your FIRST fondant wedding cake? It looks perfect & beautiful!! I think the others covered it for the sweating, but if the "sweating" is what caused it to look more shiny in your picture, I think it looks great!

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the input. I guess I'll just have to hope for no more outdoor weddings until Fall. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%