Has Anyone Had This Experience..

Business By Bohnlo Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm by CocoaBlondie

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 5

I was wondering if any of you have had this experience. I grabbed a chocolate cake mix (pillsbury) that instead of oil you use a stick of butter. I didn't realize this until I went to make some cupcakes. Batter was thick, and they seemed to dome nicely, until I took them out of the oven and then then sunk down in the middle. I made cupcakes all the time and this has never happened to me before. Do you think it could be the butter instead of oil that caused them to implode?

4 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:46am
post #2 of 5

Did you have to melt the butter? If not I could see how over mixing to get the butter incorporated would cause it. Not the butter itself, just getting in.

Mike

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:26am
post #3 of 5

When using butter in exchange for oil I have never encountered a problem. Did you use real butter? If not the water content would have an effect on it. Did you melt the butter? That could also have an effect on the end product.
It sounds like you might need to check your oven temp. I check mine every couple of months. Some of them need to be calibrated from time to time. If I remember correctly to low of a temp causes sinking.

HTH!

Kim

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 11:32am
post #4 of 5

the only reason I can think of (and I'm certainly no expert, so take it for what it's worth!) is that they weren't done in the middle. Did you test them before you took them out? I use butter recipe mixes all the time and have never had that issue, except when they weren't done. icon_razz.gif And yes, the batter is thicker with butter recipes, it seems. icon_smile.gif

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:03pm
post #5 of 5

I second the motion that they were not fully baked yet. I've had a similar experience. I don't know why, but with oil if I check to early the cake stays springy like. With butter my cakes a bit mushy in the middle.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%