Cupcake Mixes

Baking By barbaranoel Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm by barbaranoel

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:08am
post #1 of 10

Ok, I was in the store and I found (I think it was Betty Crocker) Cupcake mix. I guess, I want to know the difference between a cupcake mix and a cake mix - why would it be different? It seemed to be less oil added in but that's the difference I saw right off the bat.

I am off to bed (Have to be in at 4am tomorrow to do the bake) so I will check replies in the morning.

TIA
Barb

9 replies
yinyangmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yinyangmama Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #2 of 10

i also saw this in the store today and my very inexperienced brain also wondered what the heck the deal was. i even have looked on Betty Crocker's site and couldn't find any info.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:45am
post #3 of 10

my guess? another way to make money off inexperienced bakers...

Tug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tug Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:54am
post #4 of 10

yup, marketing. It's still a cake mix.

Sun11598 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sun11598 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:00am
post #5 of 10

I think a previous thread discussed this at one time. I seem to remember someone pointing out that it only made 12 cupcakes instead of 24?

So 1/2 the mix for way more than 1/2 the money? That'd be my guess anyway.

Tweedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweedie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #6 of 10

Did I read somewhere that the cupcake mixes are smaller than a cake mix? If so, I could see the value in it because there have been several times when I have wanted to make some cupcakes but didn't want 24+...just wanted a few and therefore a smaller mix would have been perfect!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:20am
post #7 of 10

i saw these also, they are just smaller cake mixes and have cupcake papers in the bow, clever way to make more $$ from less product I guess!

Bohnlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bohnlo Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:33am
post #8 of 10

The dollar store by me sells DH cupcake mixes, and yes they are basically the same as a cake mix, just half. They only make 12 cupcakes. I have seen them in yellow mix and chocolate. It is nice if your only looking to make a dozen cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the responses! That's pretty much what I thought!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%