Oh My, What Was I Thinking?

Decorating By loriemoms Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm by loriemoms

loriemoms Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 7

I must have been on crack at the time, but I took on way too much this week. I have three weddings, one is for 100 mini cakes, that have to be boxed in little boxes, another is for a 4 tier cake with 6 10 inch satelite cakes, and another is for a 3 tiered cake with a bunch of sugarveil decos on it (copying invite) Another is a grooms cake! Everything is due Saturday, except the grooms cake is friday afternoon.

all the cakes are already baked and happily in the freezer. i am trying to figure out my timing: I was thinking of filing and crumb coating all the cakes (except mini) and wrapping them in sarah and putting them back in the freezer. Some of them have mousse fillings, some of them have cream cheese. I was going to do the mini cakes Tuesday and wednesday (we already tested a small mini cake, I had it sitting out with the fondant for a week and we sat down and ate it, in fear of it being dry. It was great! WASC recipe) the grooms cake wednesday night, and then do the other cakes thursday and friday, pulling them out one by one out of the freezer. My question is will the mousse filling be ok frozen and defrosted (it has marzapone cheese in it, and anotther is a chocolate mousse) as well as will the cream cheese filing be ok? (I have already frozen my buttercream before and it freezes great!) I was concerned as the fillings defrosted, the cake would get soggy. (I Have refrozen cakes before, but never with these kinds of filings..I have a commerical freezer that does a GREAT job) Anyone think this idea will work? Am I crazy?

6 replies
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #2 of 7

You want to do something to keep any stray water from freezing in those fillings. I'd add gelatin to some of the samples to see if that doesn't help contain any stray water molecules that might freeze and crystalize and melt watery. I've tested mine and I know they survive freezing with no worries. I would make up a couple different samples and test it. But I mean maybe they would freeze great without the gelatin.

I just know that pro pastry people use lots of it. And it enhances the products I use it in.

loriemoms Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #3 of 7

That is a good idea...are you talking about unflavored gelatin?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 7

Oh and to answer your question yeah you're crazy. icon_lol.gif I think everyone in this business is crazy. And even though I'm not so much 'in the business' I'm crazy too for still wishing I could!!!

And what a weekend! Good grief!!

buttercream_dreams Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 7

what do you mean when you say "(copying invite)" ?
otherwise holy #@!$ !!!!
thats like all my cake orders this year!!!! ok, so i am exaggerating but WOW!
i can feel your hair turning grey and frazzled!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

That is a good idea...are you talking about unflavored gelatin?

Yes bloomed gelatin. I just guess. Like I bloom a packet in 1/2 cup water and in my cream cheese filling where I use a pound of cc and a couple cups of sour cream then I use like half the amount of bloomed gelatin. I just guess. It works. It's still soft but has some body too.

loriemoms Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:09pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by buttercream_dreams

what do you mean when you say "(copying invite)" ?
otherwise holy #@!$ !!!!
thats like all my cake orders this year!!!! ok, so i am exaggerating but WOW!
i can feel your hair turning grey and frazzled!

Beleive it or not, I have had worse weeks! I had one weekend where I had 6 weddings, two birthday cakes and two grooms cakes. I didnt sleep that week. (what I usually do , which I will do this week, is work about 10-12 hours, sleep for about 3, then work 10-12hours. If you stay organized, it gets done. I then sleep all day Sunday! haha! Sometimes just getting the deliveries done is the hardest part!

What I mean about copying invite: The bride is having me take her invitation design and reproducing it on her cake. I am doing this in sugarveil. I will probalby do that design on Monday and put it in a piece of tupperware..they usually stay moist for me for a few days. The cake is a fondant cake as well. My biggest worry is the mini cakes, as they are so time consuming! (they all have designs on them as well).

Memphis: Thanks for the idea of testing! I just took some cupcakes I had in the freezer and put some mousse in them and will see how they do. My DH thinks they will get soggy as my mousse is very soft.

Do you know how the sleeved fillings freeze? (in cake that is..I have frozen the sleeves with no problems)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%