Smbc Newbie

Decorating By leahk Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm by leahk

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to attempt making SMBC, but I have a few questions.
1- Can I use margarine? I need it to be non-dairy.
2- I only have a Bosch. So if I cook the whites in a separate bowl and then pour them into my mixer, how will I be able to tell when they cool?
3- Should I just continually use the whip beaters when adding in the margarine? Or do I switch to the dough hook?

Thanks for all your help!

4 replies
CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not a SMBC expert, but I would not use margerine. My personal experience is that it is too soft.

leahk Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #3 of 5

Is this true? Am I stuck making ABC forever just because I need it to be non-dairy?

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 5

I got to looking for you & the only thing I thought you could try is this one I never tried it before & thought maybe if you subed the butter for a bit less marg. you might be okay since it calls for crisco.

Italian Buttercream Meringue Frosting

Serves/Yields:
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Italian, Frostings
Difficulty: Moderate

This makes a stable meringue from the cooked sugar beaten into it. This is a good buttercream to use in warm weather, but it will soften because of its high butter content.

4 sticks (1 pound) unsalted butter, slightly soft
1 cup Crisco� shortening
8 large egg whites ***
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoon clear, pure or powdered vanilla
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water

In a mixer, or by hand, beat butter and shortening together until smooth. Set aside in a cool area (68� F).

Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in large mixing bowl. Whip on a low medium until frothy. When white color is constant, slowly add 1/2 cup of sugar in a very fine stream. Continue to beat on medium.

While egg whites are beating, combine 1 cup of sugar and water in a small saucepan. Stir until dissolved, cook over medium heat until boiling. Cook to 250� F, as measured with a Candy Thermometer.

If egg whites haven't yet reached a shiny, but softly stiff stage, turn them up onto high to finish beating. If whites reach shiny/soft/stiff stage before sugar syrup is ready, reduce speed to stir and keep mixing until syrup is ready. Increase speed of mixture. Pour a Tablespoon of syrup into whites (stay away from pouring them onto whip), beat for 10 seconds, continue until all of syrup is used. Beat meringue until bottom of bowl has cooled to about 98�. You want the meringue to return to a stiff/shiny peak before adding the butter mixture. This will make a more stable buttercream.

Using paddle, add butter, one heaping tablespoon at a time allowing mixture to mix for 10-15 seconds between additions. Continue until all butter is mixed in. If mixture breaks, continue beating at low-medium speed and mixture will come back together. Cool for about an hour in a cool area before using. Use immediately.

NOTE: For a sweeter tasting Italian Meringue Buttercream, beat in 1 cups of sifted powdered sugar in the end.
Nutrition Information
You can refrigerate it for a week, or freeze for several months. Be sure to allow the buttercream to come to room temperature, then whip it with an electric mixer on medium speed until it is once again thick, smooth, and shiny and returns to its original volume.

***Because much of the syrup's heat is lost to the bowl...the foam mass normally gets no hotter than 130 or 135 degrees F, which is insufficient to kill salmonella. You can use powdered pasteurized egg whites to make the Italian Meringue Buttercream if you are concerned.
Source:
Contributed by: admin on Wednesday, August 24. 2005 at 13:05:26

More Recipes of admin

leahk Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 5

thanks so much for looking into that for me.
every recipe i've seen for IMBC or SMBC has butter, or is partially butter. i need the icing to be completely non-dairy. i guess i could try a small batch and see what happens.
i'm just sick of the overly sweet ABC, and was looking to try something new.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%