Choco-Pan Vs Satin Ice?

Decorating By CocoaBlondie Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 11:50am by CocoaBlondie

CocoaBlondie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 12

I've always make my own fondant, but becoming more & more busy w/ cakes I'm tempted to start buying it. I saw on Global Sugar art choco-pan & satin ice. Which is better to work with & taste wise. Also this may be a dumb question, but when I make fondant I usually use 2-3 pounds of con. sugar or one to two bags of marsh. if mmf. What bucket number? is comparable to my homemade batch icon_confused.gif . Is global sugar art the cheapest price around for these products? Sorry for all the questions, Iknow there are many of you out there knowledgable about this topic. I could sure use your advice!! icon_smile.gif

11 replies
CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 12

anybody out there?

sweetenedcakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:09am
post #3 of 12

I haven't taste chocopan;i don't like much satin ice but I haved used because of the short time. And the store; one of the cheapest is global sugar art.

I hope this helps

peg818 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #4 of 12

IMO Choco-pan is the best tasting, but a little harder to work with. Satin Ice is easier to work with and tastes okay definitely leaps and bounds above the wilton c!@p that is available everywhere.

CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:24pm
post #5 of 12

Thanks for the feedback. Does anybody know how much the #2 bucket will cover cakewise?

SusieHazCakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 12

Choco-Pan is definitely the best tasting fondant I've used. Since it's more like chocolate than fondant, it possesses different characteristics -- some good and some not. It's very easy to smooth, especially if you get a small hole or tear because it sort of melts together with the warmth of your hands, but it's not as useful for modeling figures or flowers because it doesn't set up as hard as regular fondant. It doesn't have as long a shelf life as other fondants, but you can freeze it. You can also roll Choco-Pan out thinner than regular fondant, so it goes farther. Their website ( has a chart for coverage. Hope this helps.

snarkybaker Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #7 of 12

I find Fondex to be the best tasting regular fondant, and I like the cal-java chocolate based fondants better than choco-pan. Choco-pan is crazy difficult to work with here in the south. It doesn't really like heat or humidity.

twooten173 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:31pm
post #8 of 12

I think has the best prices on Satin Ice. Satin Ice is pretty easy to work with - no complaints. I covered 4 - 1/4 sheet cakes, and a half a ball cake with 5lbs and still have a little left.

I haven't used the Choc Pan but I'm thinking about ordering some to try it on a carrot AUDI TT cake.

CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 12

Thank you for these very helpful post! May I ask where you buy your Fondex? I was checking out the intotheoven website they do have better pricing.

snarkybaker Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:04am
post #10 of 12

I buy fondex at either or from depending on what else I need to order.

milal Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:02pm
post #11 of 12

I agree that Into the oven has the best prices, and they just had a june sale on Choco Pan and Satin Ice. I stocked up. My DH calls Sating Ice the good stuff not the cardboard stuff. Haven't tried Choco Pan, but reading here, I will give it a try.

CocoaBlondie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 11:50am
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the site & updates. It's much appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%