I Made An Executive Decision And I'm Happy Now!!

Decorating By lynndy-lou Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm by CocoaBlondie

lynndy-lou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynndy-lou Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 14

I know this will sound really daft, but I made a decision on friday that friends and family will no longer get a £40 cake for £20 they are only going to get a loyalty discount. My friend called and asked for a cake that I normally charge £35 for and 20 cupcakes for £20 I told her about my new pricing for friends and family and she didn't mind. i am so happy!!
Mad Lynndy-lou!!

13 replies
lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:14pm
post #2 of 14

Good for you!

I don't know why it is so hard for us to charge what we're worth, but it is!

lynndy-lou Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 14

I think it's scary because I dont think people will pay what they're worth.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynndy-lou

yes, they will or there wouldn't be so many decorators getting top dollar for their work.

It's all in the marketing ... how you sell it.

lynndy-lou Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #5 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynndy-lou

yes, they will or there wouldn't be so many decorators getting top dollar for their work.

It's all in the marketing ... how you sell it.

Making my sister her wedding cake made me realise it was time to move on!! My new motto is "if they dont want to pay it I dont want to make it"

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 14

I know what you mean my niece's 4th birthday is next week and my sister said that she wanted one of my cakes but if it cost too much she was going to go to the walmart bakery. icon_sad.gif
Just b/c I love my niece and she already told me she wants me to make her a cake I agreed to it it for $25. Then my sister told me that she was going to pay $30 for that one layer walmart cake....grrrrr icon_mad.gif
If it were my sisters cake I'd say , "Then go get your one layer walmart cake and I'll use that time making someone else a tasty two layer." icon_biggrin.gif

lynndy-lou Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:07pm
post #7 of 14

The reason I came to this decision is an email I got from my sister in law pressuming I was making my nephews cake saying she had some ideas for his cake football boots or a trophy and also did I need any money towards it.
So I emailed back to let her know that I would only be able to do a simple cake as my mum goes in for a hysterectomy the same week and she would need to pay for the cake.
Also in the last 5 weeks my sister came from australia for the 1st time in 17 years, my nan had a mastectomy and then discovered she had liver cancer from which she didnt recover so then we had the funeral 10 days before my sister got married, I made the cake and my daughter was bridesmaid. We also had 5 birthdays I did 2 of the cakes. Oh and 2 of my good freinds gave birth. I NEED A REST. I also have arthritis and fibromyalgia. God I really needed to say that.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 14

Nuff said.....gotcha icon_smile.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 14

OMG!!! You poor thing! That is a lot for any one person. My heart is with you.

When family or GOOD friends order a cake for a birthday (depending on who it is, mind you) they know that they should expect to pay for it (and they totally do), but as my "gift" to the person I will "gift" the cake. But ONLY if the person who ordered it expects to pay for it. If they expect that I'll just gift it, then I make them pay. How's that for twisted????

amberhoney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberhoney Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 14

I get around this for friends and family - if I offer to make it I make it clear that it is my gift and accordingly it is free. Bearing in mind some can take me 10 hours+ to make, and I still put in just as much effort (and sometimes more) they are well aware they are the lucky ones!
If someone asks me to make a cake I charge them for it. Seems to work for me icon_biggrin.gif

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 14

lynndy-lou, you are in my prayers!

Everyone knows they have to pay for sweets. No one complains... if they did, they can go to Wal-Mart.

Stick to your guns!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #12 of 14

I did the same thing - it was hard at first but I'm over it now.

I'm a business with taxes and kitchen rent to pay. Funny how you look at things differently when you have to let uncle sam get his cut.

lynndy-lou Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:04pm
post #13 of 14

Thanks everyone for your support, it may not seem alot to most people but im glad I did it. I think I need a holiday.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #14 of 14

I also do alot of cakes as gifts. I don't have to buy anything, but it is a lot of time & effort though. I can see where your coming from!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%