Fondant: Color, Paint, Or Airbrush? Need Advice!

Decorating By amysue99 Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm by buttercream_dreams

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #1 of 4

I am working on a cake that is dsigned on a family crest - pretty intricate with lots of mmf piece-work. The colors are black, red, and silver. What do all you pros out there suggest I do to get the best possible product? Should I: a) color the fondant b) sculpt the whole crest and then paint it or c) sculpt the pieces separately, airbrush them, and then put them into place?

Whenever I make dark colored mmf, it always seems to break down and crack very easily. Why is that?

Thanks!
Amy

3 replies
buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 4

i am in no way an expert...but i vote for airbrushing and then assembly..it sounds the most easiest. icon_biggrin.gif

but if someone else IS giving insight, does airbrushing on mmf dry matte?? Like, if i wanted to airbrush the WHOLE tier, in lets say, black..would it be shiny/wet looking, or dry eventually?

is there a tried and true way to get BLACK BLACK mmf?

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 4

I have airbrushed fondant before, and, if I remember correctly, it stayed a little shiny. I don't remember if it dried or stayed a little tacky to the touch. That is my main concern with airbrushing.

I have made really black mmf. However, the amount of color seems to compromise the fondant. It cracks very easily and get kind of scaly looking - even if it's fresh. Almost impossible to work with.

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #4 of 4

ohh great..thats promising!!! I have an order for an all black(fondant) w/ gold accents wedding cake in dec...i hope i can figure something out by then..if anyone has any ideas..i'd love to hear.
TIA!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%