Kitchen ? - Husband Is Making Me Mad

Business By poshcakedesigns Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 1:12am by SweetConfectionsChef

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #31 of 36

One of my favorite quotes... "Leap, and the net will appear."

I don't think that is an outrageous amount of rent. I am looking at paying almost $2,000, plus the build out. Yikes!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:48pm
post #32 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

You both have catering why aren't you just doing cakes?

Because I'm an off-site caterer that also does cakes. I'm not a restaurant .... I dont' do onesy-twosy lunches in styrofoam boxes. Anything under 50 people is almost not worth my time. I'm not a traditional bakery. There are not many caterers who also do wedding cakes, which makes me a unique vendor who can offer more to that one bride.

Quote:

All the full time independent bakeries around here do lunch or are wedding planners plus cake, or cater do lunch and cakes. Or they close.

I know lots of bakeries that are just bakeries. they don't pretend to be wedding planners or restaurants, and they've been in business for years. (many I know personally, so I'm well aware of whatever "back door" business they are doing.) So yes, it's possible.

And I say "pretend" because I saw a deli who placed an ad in the yellow pages under "wedding planners". Sorry, but slappin' some meat and cheese on a tray does not make you an expert on flowers, buffets and sit down dinners, cash bars, wait staff, venues, and all the other details involved in a wedding.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:03pm
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

...I know lots of bakeries that are just bakeries. they don't pretend to be wedding planners or restaurants, and they've been in business for years. (many I know personally, so I'm well aware of whatever "back door" business they are doing.) So yes, it's possible...

Name me one brand new full time independent bakery that just straight up retail bakes. If they're out there there ain't many. That is like crazy hard. Mom & Pop bakeries are dinosaurs. There's still one in my old neighborhood back home but they are all gone around here. But they are right across the street from a giant hospital too.

Hey, littlecake is one. But she lives on premise I believe. You gotta have a tipping point to get that ball rolling.

Do you honestly think she can get this going on cake alone without any other business pathway? That's fine if that's your advice to her. But I do not. No way.

And I'm just discussing here--no emotion.

And besides would the op say what kind of area you are in? How many population? What kind of area?

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:07pm
post #34 of 36

Gosh you guys are amazing. I'm learning so much!!!

I'm going to go and visit the place on Monday (can't hurt) I did notice today when I rode by there are 2 doors hum maybe he might be up to the idea of renting me 1/2 the place and renting the other half to someone else. My husband does construction so he could build the wall if he was open to that idea. Don't know until you ask, right?

I just don't want to get in over my head. I do work fast and I love making cakes and I'm sure I'll have to do what the others suggested and do something else in addition to the cakes. Also thought if I could I could rent out kitchen space to someone else that might need a kitchen....

I'm like the rest of you - if it's ment to be it will fall in place - if not I'll just stay put for now. LOL BTW I have apologized to the hubby icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks again for all this insiteful help - maybe it can help some others to that didn't realize all the expenses that we would have....

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:46pm
post #35 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

...I know lots of bakeries that are just bakeries. they don't pretend to be wedding planners or restaurants, and they've been in business for years. (many I know personally, so I'm well aware of whatever "back door" business they are doing.) So yes, it's possible...

Name me one brand new full time independent bakery that just straight up retail bakes. If they're out there there ain't many. That is like crazy hard. Mom & Pop bakeries are dinosaurs. There's still one in my old neighborhood back home but they are all gone around here. But they are right across the street from a giant hospital too.

Hey, littlecake is one. But she lives on premise I believe. You gotta have a tipping point to get that ball rolling.

Do you honestly think she can get this going on cake alone without any other business pathway? That's fine if that's your advice to her. But I do not. No way.

And besides would the op say what kind of area you are in? How many population? What kind of area?

If I can toss my .02 in. I don't think one can live on cake alone. Not retail anyways. If you have enough wholesale accounts it could keep you quite busy.
My family a few years back owed a Cheesecake shop. It needed to branch out to other items. Never did it failed, it took the big flush.

Mike

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:12am
post #36 of 36
Quote:

Quote:

I can name THREE cake shops in a 20 mile radius of my house that do quite well. Two have been in business for many years and one for several. Actually I was getting to the point that I was going to dump the catering and just do cakes....it was just too hard. As a matter of fact the 1st corporate account came along not long after I opened and then they were bought out by a large corporation and had to stop feeding their employees lunch. The account lasted about a year but then my second year of business was cakes and not much else. I tried weddings, I actually did 2, and found out I am NOT cut out for weddings. My third year I took on the large cater and I sold my business do to my pregnancy after cooking for them about 10 months.

As for only doing cakes, once you get the "reputation", do the wedding shows and book consistantly it would be possible to run on cakes only. The thing is you have to do less cakes for more $$$ and find your niche.

K8Memphis, I wasn't attacking you about the lunch counter/deli....just giving my own personal experience to the OP.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%