Need Help Replicating This With Limited Skill

Decorating By pottedmeatchunks Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 1:39am by pottedmeatchunks

pottedmeatchunks Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 13

Hi there,

A bride would like me to replicate this cake in 3 tiers and buttercream. Ummm...possibly not doable but she wants me to get as close as possible. The cake can have some fondant accents but I'm not going to cover the whole thing in fondant because its a cake for a charity and I am operating within a strict budget.

The picture isn't very good so I'm not even sure I can make out all the detail on it, but she wants it to be very detailed. I have never made anything even close to this so I dont know what is fondant on here, what is not fondant, and what sort of tools I need. Especially perplexing are those round orange do I make those?? Thanks for any and all help!

Oh and I am not trying to replicate the topper (thank goodness haha)

12 replies
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 13

Oh that's not out of the question at all. The orange things could be made out of several different mediums. Chocolate, y'know colored white chocolate. Maybe they are cameos. Could be made out of fondant or gum paste.

Umm those drapey swag deals? Take a strip of fondant and slide a bamboo skewer under it to make the fold, remove the skewer and shape it a tad and moisten the back and apply it to the cake.

You can do it out of buttercream easy peasy.

I mean you ahave the learning curve of icing it and stuff and piping the other little stuff.

No worries if you have some basic cake skills already or do a lot of practicing.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 13

Oh I think the orange things are monograms. The big swags deals could also be piped--fondant would appear more uniform especially for someone who is new-ish to piping.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 13

Changed my mind. I recommend you perhaps try candy clay, chocolate plastique it is also called--candy melts plus corn syrup. It does not stretch like fondant.

And ditch the skewer thing--just roll sausages and form it to your liking.

Just some decorative thoughts for you.

edited to say if #5 was the bottom tier I would do tiers 4, 3 and 1 and make the bottom swag on #4 more prominent like those on #5.

Ok I'm gonna shut up now. icon_biggrin.gif I love that cake!

PattyT Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 13

Very nice cake. To add the other excellent advice, if you can get the big shapes done - the swags, medallions and the main outlines; then cornelli lace piping is a pretty easy and forgiving technique. If done tight looks very detailed.

You could use it to cover larger areas, then use smaller amounts of the more difficult flourishes in other areas.

I'd definitely do the medallions in gum paste because you can make them well in advance (form on a curve the same as the side of the cake). This will help you as you will need every moment closer to the event for all that PIPING!

Good luck.

BrandisBaked Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 13

I made small rounds on a Margaret Braun inspired cake (in my photos) using a painters palette - just pushed the fondant in and popped it out.

To get those large ovals, I'm sure you could use an egg shaped mold and just not fill it all the way up.

OCakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 13

I suggest that you come up with a close or similar design that you feel comfortable with. Maybe a multiple swag design with extra details on them... not sure you how come up with designs, but I draw mine & show my ideas/abilities that way. The orange circles, if you would still include them, can even be flat on the cake - brush embroidered on or a circle of BC drawn on & smoothed. I'm sure you can make something very nice with your own style. I think it is a beautiful cake and I hope you have fun replicating, I know it can be stressful if you're unsure of "how to"! =)

mommy_of_3_DDs Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 13

How are your piping skills? You could pipe all the details it would take hours to do, but it can be done.

Frost cake in buttercream and allow to crust, then begin piping the details with various tips;

the orange monograms on each tier could be faked by drying light orange fondant over a domed shape then painting with pearl dust and then piping a letter in the center.

Good Luck!

KoryAK Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 13

I'm sure thats a replica of a magazine cake that I was also asked to replicate. I don't still have the original photo (to show you more detail) but my version is in my photos if another visual helps

and close up here:

There is a lot of piping, but its pretty simple stuff once you look close at it. ('cept those fondant swags on mine. took forever.)

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 13

That is so pretty!!!!

PattyT Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #11 of 13

Wow! KoryAK, your cake is spectacular!

When you say you did fondant They are so perfect.

KoryAK Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:29pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks! icon_smile.gif I used my clay gun with the larger hemisphere tip and squirted them out then attached with water.

pottedmeatchunks Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:39am
post #13 of 13

KoryAK!! I LOVE YOUR CAKE!! It is so much prettier than the original. I wasn't even too into the original mostly because I wasn't into the orange oval things, you have perfected this cake! I am totally inspired now I'm going to draw up my own twist on this and see what the bride thinks. Thank you all for your help!! Gumpaste on an egg shape is a good idea...or on whatever shape the bride wants I suppose.

Quote by @%username% on %date%