Can I Use Crisco To Soften Up A Ball Of Gumpaste?

Decorating By maggiev777 Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm by maggiev777

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have a ball of gumpaste that has sat in my pantry (wrapped in saran and then in a ziploc) for about a month. Is it salvageable? It is hard but not rock hard. The outside is hard but if I push on it, the inside is soft.

I just have to make one little thing (an umbrella) out of gumpaste and would love to use this ball rather than make more. Is is salvageable? Can I work in some crisco to soften it up, or water, or just knead it, or what? Should I pick of the harder outside bits first, and just use the inside part?

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:43pm
post #2 of 6

Peel the outside with a potato peeler and warm for like a few measured seconds in the microwave aka microzap and yes use some crisco. You just want it warm-ish but still far far away from hot. Knead well. Good to go.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:57pm
post #3 of 6

Yes you can add crisco to the gumpaste. It will help soften the gumpaste. I was taught to use it in a class with Nick Lodge.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 6

I meant microwave the gumpaste not the shortening of course. And I'm talking like 5 seconds, check it, 3 seconds check it, just till it has a little give to it. Not at all to heat it up.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Peel the outside with a potato peeler....

learn something new every day. who'd of thunk it!

tho' -- wonder sometimes if their isn't a whole generation that doesn't even know what a potato peeler is or how to use it!

maggiev777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggiev777 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 6

Excellent! You guys are so clever. Thanks for the tips and I am so happy I can use it. Yippy skippy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%