Traveling With Sps???

Decorating By fabfour Updated 14 Apr 2010 , 11:30am by leah_s

fabfour Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 14

I have been using the sps since April. I LOVE IT!! But I have yet to travel with it, I usually stack cakes when I get to the reception site. Today I have just a 2 tiered cake, 10" and 6" and I'd like to see how well it transports but I don't want anything to happen to the cake either. I know a lot of you that use this system do travel with the cakes stacked, do you have any tips that you can pass on to me?? This cake is to be delivered at 2pm today.

13 replies
butterflywings Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 14

it is my understanding that sps is THE system to travel with. if i'm not mistaken, leahs has mentioned several times that she's traveled with 4 tier cakes already assembled using sps and has never had any problems with it.

loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 14

You shouldn't have any problems at all. I only use SPS, and nothing else, and often travel with 3-4 tiered cakes. I even did a 5 tier once and we decided never again...not because of the SPS< but because the thing WEIGHED too much! We killed ourselves carrying it to the table.

Just make sure you do pierce your cake boards well...I always use a little royal icing between the cake board and the SPS board to be on the safe side.

NatalieJohnson Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:00am
post #4 of 14

Do those of you who use SPS add the extra cost to the price of the cake or ask for deposits to get your equipment back?

loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #5 of 14

for a three tiered cake, the entire SPS system runs less then 10 bucks. (two plates about 4 bucks and 8 pillars are about 4 dollars, so its not even that much) Most of my three tiered cakes run between $400-$700 so I don't bother asking them for deposits. I just roll the price into the cake and they can keep the pillars. Some brides do bring them back to me though...their venues are used to saving EVERYTHING.

That is one of the beauties of SPS..Its VERY cheap compared to other systems.

poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:13am
post #6 of 14

How is the SPS used on a cake? I've never used this before.

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:16am
post #7 of 14

A 6 and a 10 is very well balanced. Put together with SPS you will have no problem. I hope you already tried it! We delivered three cakes today, two completly assembled with SPS and one partially assembled, becasue it was big and heavy!

I do charge an "equipment fee" and consider the system disposable.

loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #8 of 14
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

How is the SPS used on a cake? I've never used this before.

SPS is bakery crafts single plate system. Instead of using dowels, straws, etc. It is made of very strong plastic pillars and plate systems that screw tight together. You push them into the cake and use them for your support system. They are easy, cheap and strong. I think they are just as strong as the Anti Stress system, but dollars and dollars less! They come in round, square and heart shaped, and you can get them clear or white or ivory. I buy mine through bakery craft (you have to be a licensed bakery) but I believe you can find them online at other places.

I know venues LOVE them too, becuase they also make cutting the cake easier! Not dowels to fish out, not big center dowel to cut around..they just cut the tier, lift the plastic plate off, do the next tier, etc.

MessiET Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 1:32pm
post #9 of 14

You can also buy SPS through Global Sugar Art following the link from CC.

vrmcc1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:24pm
post #10 of 14

I delivered a 4 tier cake yesterday that was stacked using sps. I live in the mountains so we have a lot of steep hills and bumpy back roads and there were no problems. I will never use anything but sps.

leah_s Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:08pm
post #11 of 14

:: wipes tear of joy::
Another member for the SPS Chorus!

NatalieJohnson Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 2:25am
post #12 of 14

But how does the cake not slide back and forth if there is no center dowel?

sweetcakes Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 3:17am
post #13 of 14

because the plastic plate has a little spike in the center pointing upwards that goes into the cake board. you do need to punch a hole into the underside of the cake board first before you put it ontop of the plate so the spike will sit in the hole.

leah_s Posted 14 Apr 2010 , 11:30am
post #14 of 14

If the cake is sliding back and forth, the center dowel isn't going do anything but tear the cake anyway. The safety provided by the center dowel is a complete myth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%