Cake Topper -- Leafs On A Wire

Decorating By margaretb Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm by margaretb

margaretb Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:49am
post #1 of 5

I am more or less copying a charm city cake for my cousins wedding.

It is the leaf cake you can see in the background about 30 seconds in on this video: The Harley Motorcycle Cake @ 00:32/03:52

Anyway, it has a topper with leaves attached to wires sticking out of the top. I think I could do this with fondant leaves (I have only done one other fondant cake, but we are foolishly optimistic), but I would LOVE any suggestions about how to attach them to the wires and what kind of wire to get.

If it doesn't work out, she has another topper she can buy to use, but she would really like the leaves.

Thanks for any suggestions.

4 replies
bizatchgirl Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:14am
post #2 of 5

There are some previous posts that say the gauge of the wire, that I can't remember offhand. You get it from the floral section at WalMart or Michaels. I just picked a gauge that looked kind of bendy. You should wrap it, since it is not food safe. You should also insert straws into the cake then insert the wire. This will help keep it stable and also keep it from direct contact with the cake. One PP said that they heat the end of the wire then stick it into the fondant and that helps it hold better. I did stars on wire and I used gum glue and gumpaste and had to put one star on the front, one on the back. It took forever to dry and still kept wanting to slide, so I say try the heat method first!

miny Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:52am
post #3 of 5

I've never tried it but wouldn't be easier to use gumpaste leaves and glue them with royal icing?, I'd do one leaf, the wire and another leaf just like bizatchgirl says. Just a thought.

Texas_Rose Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:49am
post #4 of 5

Those aren't gigantic leaves so they'll be easy. Do them with fondant or gumpaste, either will work. Roll it a little thicker than you usually would, thick enough to stick your wire in there without showing or poking a hole. You can buy the wire at walmart in the aisle with the fake flowers. When you get it, go over to the hardware department and also buy a pair of needle-nose pliers. You'll need them to cut the wire (believe me, you'll kill your kitchen shears if you cut wire with them icon_biggrin.gif) and also to bend a little hook at the end before you push the wires into the leaves. You can either heat up the wire or dip it in egg white (since these leaves will not be eaten, egg white is okay, if it was on something people were going to eat you would want to mix up meringue powder and water). Just put your finger on top of the leaf, then push the wire in (your finger is there to feel if the wire is going to poke out the top)

Dry the leaves laying flat. You'll need to flip them over after a day or so. Don't try to stand them up until they're totally dry, and don't move them around a bunch until they're dry either...that's what makes fondant things fall off wire.

margaretb Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 5

What a great group! Thanks for your ideas. My cousin will be thrilled to hear that I think I can do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%