I Need An Ansewr, Badly.... :(

Decorating By miasuzzette Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm by LusciousCakes

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:29am
post #1 of 10

thumbsdown.gif I had made a Two tier cake. For My sister-in-law's Mom. She told me that, that first tier came out good, But.. The second tier, came out solid. I had put Syrup, when it was done, Now, On this recipe I had put sour cream Can someone. Please, Tell, what I did wrong icon_cry.gif

Thank U
Please Respond =(

9 replies
ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #2 of 10

I can't help you with the nature of your disaster but I would like to offer a suggestion to help you get to the answer.

You want people who are familiar with baking issues to read your post...put in a title such as "Cake came out solid" or something so people who are scanning threads know what the issue is. You are more likely to attract people who have answers to your question when you do that.

Please see this thread where we talked about threads just this week.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5999258-.html#5999258

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #3 of 10

What do you mean by solid? Did the top tier smash and pack down the bottom tier?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:07am
post #4 of 10

Need a lil more info here. Same recipe for both? Baking temps? Size of cake?

Mike

KateWatson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KateWatson Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 10

I just had a similar issue with sour cream. I decided to get creative and add sour cream to an angel food cake mix because we had a delicious sour cream a.f. cake from a grocery store in Georgia and I wanted to try and recreate it. I was good, but in spots where I think I did not completely have the s.cream mixed in there were "solid" bits of cooked sour cream which didn't look great, but tasted fine. And I liked the richness of the cake w/the s.cream added. Just some thoughts . . .

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 10

you should try to add buttermilk next time along with the sour cream. sour cream gives the cake a potent taste, but the buttermilk makes it a little more moist....i think

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:37pm
post #7 of 10

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thumbsdown.gif I had made a Two tier cake. For My sister-in-law's Mom. She told me that, that first tier came out good, But.. The second tier, came out solid. Like Bread Pudding. I used the same cake flour for both. Now, On this recipe, I had put sour cream. Can someone. Please, Tell, what I did wrong icon_cry.gif I'm a newbie. Still in pampers. lol

Thank U
Please Respond =(

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:46pm
post #8 of 10

Here try this again:
Need a lil more info here. Same recipe for both? Baking temps? Size of cake?

Mike

I would say with the limited info. You baked it to long. That's only a guess with the info you provided.

Denae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denae Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 10

yeah...but did you put sour cream in both cakes? what temps did you cook them on? did you bake even strips? what kind of pans did you use? we need more info so we can try and help you.

LusciousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LusciousCakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:51pm
post #10 of 10

Yes more information is needed. What is your list of recipe ingredients and what did you use sour cream instead of? Are both cakes the same recipe, sour cream in one or both cakes? Did your second tier cake fall after coming out of the oven, that would make it solid. If you followed a recipe and added sour cream as an extra ingredient that could make it heavier and more solid as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%