Wilton Heating Cores?

Decorating By MOTB Updated 11 Aug 2008 , 2:57am by leannsloan

MOTB Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:10am
post #1 of 22

Hi, I'm new here, so please bear with me. icon_smile.gif I did do a search for the entire site and didn't find anything about if I have to use the Wilton Heat Cores on 10" or larger cakes.

Some background: The last time I made a wedding cake was 25 years ago. It was heart-shaped, 4 tiers, with the bottom being about 14-16" (if I remember correctly which, at my age, is suspect icon_rolleyes.gif ). I know I didn't use a heat core, and the cake turned out great. I did use the Magic Cake strips on the pans for even rising.

I'm doing DD's cake for her wedding next month. We still don't know how many we're expecting, so size and # of tiers is still in question, but we do know it will be round. (BTW, the WASC cake sounds divine, so I'm making a 1/2 batch to taste test.)

Do you cake experts use the heat cores? If so, how are they used? It seems like there'd be a big freaking hole in the cake.

Please be gentle with this newbie! Thanks!!!

21 replies
indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:24am
post #2 of 22

welcome to CC! You've found the best place for cake advice on about any topic!

The best thing about the site is so many people do things so differently, that you have lots of experiences to draw from to find the method that will work best for you, so don't be surprised or confused if/when you get lots of different suggestions.

I, personally, have never used a heating core in 25 years. There are many people who swear by them. My view is that wilton is in the business to sell you things and if they can convince you that you HAVE to have a heating core, then they've just sold you a heating core, whether you really need it or not.

I grease-no-flour my cake pans, bake at 325 (in a conventional oven), and use the baking strips to help with even baking. I have very little doming.

I've never used the heating core because I've never seen a need for one. Not in my 10" rounds, not in my 16" rounds, not in my 14x22 sheets.

MOTB Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #3 of 22

Thank you indydebi! I should just trust myself, but I started having doubts. It's been so long, and this one is soooo important! icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:30am
post #4 of 22

I use a piece of folded aluminum foil with feet. I fold it to about 3/4 inch by 5 inch long then I just tear one end up the middle a bit and fold each 'foot' the opposite way so I could stand the folded piece of foil up on the counter.

I spray it with pam or whatever and then after I pour the batter I stand this up in the cake pan. Bake it --remove it immediately or as soon as I remember. Just slide a butter knife down each side and wiggle it out easy peasy wa la. I got a picture somewhere.

I use as many as I want in whatever cake I'm doing.

But no cake cores & stuff are not essential. Some people use upside down rose nails.

I like to do it --it does ramp up the baking time--makes the baking more secure where I am more sure that the center is as well done as the edges y'know?

Hey I actually wrote a whole story of my kid's cake...the picture is in there somewhere--just scroll to the pictures if you want. The picture of the aluminum foil thing is in post 12 just over halfway down the first page.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=68445

MOTB Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:05am
post #5 of 22

k8memphis, LMBO after reading your story, but it also put the fear o'God in me! I'm making the invitations, the bride's gown, my MOTB dress, the cake, a cheesecake for the groom, and a huge pot of cioppino for the reception dinner. The wedding is 08/08/08. Am I screwed? icon_eek.gif LOL!

pjmw Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:26am
post #6 of 22

MOTB, you need CC just to stay sane for the next month! (A good drink wouldn't hurt either!) Welcome to CC!!!

Paula

phoufer Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:43am
post #7 of 22

I use a flower nail instead of heating core. I also always use baking strips for even rising.

MOTB Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:51am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmw

MOTB, you need CC just to stay sane for the next month! (A good drink wouldn't hurt either!) Welcome to CC!!!

Paula

Thanks, Paula! I've pretty much concluded I'm going to need an adult beverage to keep from embarrassing DD with my sobs during the ceremony. *snort*

MOTB Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:55am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoufer

I use a flower nail instead of heating core. I also always use baking strips for even rising.

Thanks! That sounds better, since it wouldn't leave a big hole. I think I'll just try it without. If it's a problem, I'll use one (or both!) suggestions here. (Note to self: make sure there's time for a re-do if first attempt is a failure!)

annegirlca Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:57am
post #10 of 22

What does WASC stand for??? Sorry stupid question....... icon_sad.gif
Bethany icon_smile.gif

MOTB Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 6:54am
post #11 of 22

Hee hee! I had a hard time figuring that one out, too, until I found this link:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html WASC is White Almond Sour Cream cake.

akgirl10 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:34am
post #12 of 22

WASC is a very good choice for a wedding cake. I also use baking strips and a flower nail, bake at 325.

MOTB, you are not screwed unless you haven't started on anything yet!

I bet that your daughter's wedding is going to be wonderful, please keep us updated on your progress!

veejaytx Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:57am
post #13 of 22

I have the Wilton heating core, used it exactly once, now if I need help with a larger cake, I use a rose nail.

But, if you do use the heating core, you grease it just like you do your pan, inside and out, and fill it about halfway with batter and bake it, that way when you take the core out, you use the inside of it to fill the hole in the cake. HTH

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:01pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB

k8memphis, LMBO after reading your story, but it also put the fear o'God in me! I'm making the invitations, the bride's gown, my MOTB dress, the cake, a cheesecake for the groom, and a huge pot of cioppino for the reception dinner. The wedding is 08/08/08. Am I screwed? icon_eek.gif LOL!

I think you are an angel.

What are you taking everything to the venue in? What containers?
Where are you placing it in which vehicle?
Will it be secure there, is it a flat surface?
That nubbly shelf liner that I am always robbing out from under my glasses is great for keeping things from sliding.
I just learned that cioppino is fish stew--how are you keeping it 40 degrees cold or 140 degrees hot for transport? It's not gonna splash out on the ride is it?
Because you still have a whole month think now of back up plans. You have too much going to not have back up.
Make cake boards and boxes now.
Make all decor that's possible to make in advance now.
I use self rising flour in my wasc and eliminate the extra salt & stuff.

Your life wouldl be easier if the celebration is at your house as well as everything else you're doing but your angelness would shine brighter too. I mean you get more points for having to have the house clean too!!! icon_lol.gif

Plan on having everything completed two days before the event. Except like add the fish to the stew or whatever like that just leave only the most last minutest things for the last minute. I mean just plan it that way so you have that wonderful leeway built in to your plan. Instead of hitting the wall and needing the time.

Diy wedding ideas for you.
(((hug)))

MOTB Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:20pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Your life wouldl be easier if the celebration is at your house as well as everything else you're doing but your angelness would shine brighter too. I mean you get more points for having to have the house clean too!!! icon_lol.gif

Oh no, no no! There will be NO housecleaning, LOL. The last week we'll be eating fast food, too, because I'm not doing any other food prep than wedding stuff.

Fish stew sounds so icky. Really, the fish is a minor part. There's scallops, shrimp, lobster and clams, too, all in a heavenly tomato, garlic, oregano, olive oil, onion and bell pepper base. That's just my contribution to the meal. The MOTG and GMOTG are doing everything else. It will be held in what's called the "penthouse" of his GM's condo building in downtown San Diego. The penthouse is available to the residents for parties, etc. and has a kitchen, bathroom, etc. I'll keep the cioppino cold until right before the ceremony. I'll put in on low heat and by the time the "I do's" are said, it'll be hot enough to add the seafood, which only takes a few minutes to cook.

Transporting the cake should be easy...I have a new generation Rav4, so the back is good-sized and nice and flat. Good suggestion on the non-skid mats!

Do you put a sign in the rear window "Wedding Cake On Board", so people know why you're driving so slow around corners, etc?

Edited to add: I should have the cake done two days before the event???

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:33pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Oh no, no no! There will be NO housecleaning, LOL. The last week we'll be eating fast food, too, because I'm not doing any other food prep than wedding stuff.

Fish stew sounds so icky. Really, the fish is a minor part. There's scallops, shrimp, lobster and clams, too, all in a heavenly tomato, garlic, oregano, olive oil, onion and bell pepper base. That's just my contribution to the meal. The MOTG and GMOTG are doing everything else. It will be held in what's called the "penthouse" of his GM's condo building in downtown San Diego. The penthouse is available to the residents for parties, etc. and has a kitchen, bathroom, etc. I'll keep the cioppino cold until right before the ceremony. I'll put in on low heat and by the time the "I do's" are said, it'll be hot enough to add the seafood, which only takes a few minutes to cook.

Transporting the cake should be easy...I have a new generation Rav4, so the back is good-sized and nice and flat. Good suggestion on the non-skid mats! Do you put a sign in the rear window "Wedding Cake On Board", so people know why you're driving so slow around corners, etc?

No no no your wonderful dish will be fabulous--I didn't know what it was so I googled it. I knew it would real special. Yeah 'fish stew' is a little inglorious huh oops. Gotcha gotcha gotcha But yah gotta keep the fishies on ice till then too. Depending on how big the refrigerator is at the venue and how many other things are in there. I'd ice down my lobster and shrimp and all to hold. Get a bunch of freezer packs too. Lot of logistics. The cheesecake has to be handled carefully too.

I mean all depending on when you're gonna arrive at the venue.

I don't put a sign in my car for a lot of reasons. If they just please figure it out that I'm driving careful I'm doing good.

Tona Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:44pm
post #17 of 22

I use the rose nail when I bake the larger size cakes.
This method has worked well for me.

akgirl10 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:42pm
post #18 of 22

You can definitely make the cake two days in advance. If you don't have to refrigerate the filling you can leave it in boxes at room temperature. The icing will seal in the cake, keeping it fresh.

MOTB Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 7:55pm
post #19 of 22

DD's wedding went perfectly! I got the wedding cake and cheesecakes to the venue without mishap. The cioppino was a huge hit - everyone kept asking for the recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

I just wanted to thank you (especially k8memphis) for the helpful hints you so generously shared. I ended up not using any kind of heating core, as the largest layer was 12".

Here's a link to the photo:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1253077

I'm so glad I only have one daughter! The dress turned out fabulous, too, but the whole event sure was a lot of work. icon_wink.gif

doughdough Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:38pm
post #20 of 22

Bravo!! thumbs_up.gif

You've made a very difficult thing look really easy!

CoutureCakeCreations Posted 10 Aug 2008 , 8:56pm
post #21 of 22

I prefer rose using rose nails. Works every time and I dont have to worry about filling in the hole that the heating core leaves!

leannsloan Posted 11 Aug 2008 , 2:57am
post #22 of 22

Ok I have a silly question those of you who use a rose nail. Do you fill pan with batter then put the rose nail all the way in the batter than bake? I have never used a heating coil because I did not want a big hole so I am not sure how you use them anyway. thanks for the info.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%