Wedding Cancelled For Tomorrow!!

Decorating By divaofcakes Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 4:23am by lorijom

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #1 of 7

OK, has this happened to anyone else? I have completely baked and almost finished decorating a 6 tier cake for 300 people for a wedding tomorrow. The bride's sister called me today - they have cancelled the wedding. The groom was in a motorcycle accident and is in a coma... so sad!! icon_cry.gif Prayers all around...

So, I have this giant cake and I am not sure what to do with it! Do I give it to the customer and try to get them to freeze it? I hope to have more communication with the family tomorrow. I don't give refunds this close to an event... any other advice would certainly be appreciated!
Thanks!

6 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #2 of 7

in case you lost track of your previous post on this ...

here's the original w/ lots of good advice.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6000177-.html#6000177

----

sorry to hear, the accident was more serious than you posted earlier.

prayers going out for families.

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:23am
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I couldn't even find my original post! Sorry for the dupe!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #4 of 7

wow....that is so sad. prayers for the family.

re cake...have they asked for a refund?? ask the bride what she wants to do with the cake. i know its the last thing on her mind though so maybe thats not a good idea. this one is sticky.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:27am
post #5 of 7

Ahhh Man..that is sad!!! Crappy for you also.What are you going to do with all that cake..I doubt they are going to want it! Maybe donate it to a shelter or senior citizens home.I'm sure they are going to want a raincheck on the cake but really ...at whose expense!! Tough Call!!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:41am
post #6 of 7

It is such a sad situation. A lot of your time and money went into making this cake. If it is not stacked you may be able to freeze it, but for how long. I'm sure it will be a long time before they pick another date. Because of the reason for cancellation I would probably refund their money minus your cost and keep the cake, either donate or try to salvage.

lorijom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorijom Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #7 of 7

I look at this a little differently than most others....I think you look at this situation as a business opportunity. If you do something wonderful for the couple it will be remembered by not only the couple but by the families, friends, doctors and nurses...who knows maybe even the local news.

It looks like you are in Houston which isn't a little town but I think it is always in the best interest of a business owner to have a small community mindset...everybody depends on everybody else.

You don't need to give a refund to turn this into a positive. I agree with the pp who suggested raffling the cakes, heck maybe you can figure out where to raffle it off and contact the paper with the story (with the future bride's permission) or donate it at the children's ward of a hospital, or a local military facility. There is no better advertising than free advertising !!

I will also pretty much guarantee you that the feeling you will get from doing something great with that cake will have you floating around on cloud 9...way better than just thinking about wasted cake icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%