Cupcakes ... How Do You Guys Do It?

Decorating By indydebi Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 2:39am by Kiddiekakes

indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:59am
post #1 of 8

I've been playing around with making cupcakes and trying to make them a little "above and beyond" .... looking for 'the look' that sets me apart. Here is my latest attempt, with a ladybug and a teddy bear:
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1240400

The icing is a glaze made from melted white choc, heavy whipping cream and butter. Decors are just regular BC. Ladybug is filled with red raspberry and the bear is filled with choc bavarian.

HOnestly, I need to know how you guys do this! I spent about 3 hours on these (including mixing and baking) and only had 24 of them done! My production costs at this rate is horrible! I kept thinking "I could have a whole freakin' wedding cake iced and decorated in 3 hours!" icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

My admiration goes out to you guys who do lots of cupcakes and are able to sell them for less than a serving of wedding cake! Based on my crummy productivity on these, I need to sell them for TWICE the price of a wedding cake! icon_lol.gificon_cry.gif

Please share your secrets!!!

7 replies
KathysCC Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #2 of 8

You know I've been thinking the same thing as I saw how long that cupcake thread was getting. I think cupcakes are one of those things you have to have a talent for and patience. That's my only explanation. I know I can't do them with the neatness and beauty I see here on CC.

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:10am
post #3 of 8

My secret is not to get too fussy on each cupcake.Keep the design simple but achievable..I tried to do a circle cut out with fondant on a perfectly domed cupcake and well let's say...It didn't work....They look simple but in actuality...time consuming and not simple at all.I try to make fondant flowers,bugs,grasses etc to put on the cupcake instead.There is a fantastic cupcake artist from Australia that just rocks whe it comes to cupcakes...

http://lecupcake.blogspot.com/

indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:16am
post #4 of 8

oh lord, kiddiekakes, after seeing that site, now I AM depressed! icon_lol.gif

I'm going to try to fondant flowers (Shhh! Dont' tell anyone Debi is going to do fondant stuff!) .... I think those are simple enough that I can get my two high school girls to roll it out and cut out the flower petals for assembly and have them ready and waiting.

CocoaBlondie Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #5 of 8

My heart too goes out to the cupcake & cookie makers. I recently thought instead of doing just cake for a wedding shower that I would do cupcakes. In my mind I thought it would be quick & easy. It turned out to be more time consuming. I love the look of the cupcake tiers, but not so sure I'll be doing much of them.

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:30am
post #6 of 8

Hey Indydebi....That is me also....quick fondant!!!HA!HA! Your girls can do that!!

indydebi Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #7 of 8

kiddiekakes, I just marked your ladybug cake/cupcakes as a favorite! I may give this one a try soon!!

Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:39am
post #8 of 8

They are very easy..I make the flowers a day or so ahead with fondant cutters...daises...various smaller flowers in different colors.I cut out random leaves etc.....make fondant ladybugs..pipe on the grass...I dust all the flowers in a baggie and dust...Put on the cupcakes!!! note to self....don't try to poke in the leaves etc when cupcakes are thawing from the freezer...causes the fondant to soften and wilt!! Ask me how I know..Grrrrr

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%