Fondant Figures Help!!!

Decorating By azureblu Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm by Kay_NL

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:34pm
post #1 of 8

Dose any one know if I can use fondant in my Wilton 3D figure molds? Would I do the same thing as using Gum Paste? I am making a Oscar statue for a awards cake. It's a Night at the Oscar's theme. The movie film strips, clapbords, stars and megaphones will all be made out of fondant. Please help today if you can. Thank You Azure

7 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 8

I think fondant is easier to work with.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:22pm
post #3 of 8

I'd suggest a 50/50 mix of fondant & gum paste or fondant with some Tylose, CMC, gum trag, or gum tex added. You get the ease of working with fondant but with the increased strength and faster drying time of gum paste. You also tend to get less cracking and wrinkling when making larger items using 50/50.

HTH
Rae

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 8

I haven't use 50/50 fondant and Gumpaste. So I would go with Fodant mix with Gum tragacanth/ CMC. icon_smile.gif

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:00pm
post #5 of 8

I really did not want it to dry all that fast because I will be hand molding parts of it. That was the reason for the fondant... Will corn starch be OK? I need to put small amount on the fondant before putting it into the oiled molds....Thanks... Azure

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 8

corn starch would be fine

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:11pm
post #7 of 8

I think fondant mixed with a little Tylose powder is my very fave way to mold figures. I hate Bakels by itself and it is rather expensive. CK powdered dries up too fast, so fondant and tylose is the winner for me.

Good luck,

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 8

I have used fondant with gum tex, I've never used gum paste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%