What Do You Like About Sugarshack's Buttercream Icing

Decorating By luelue1971 Updated 31 May 2012 , 12:36am by kakeladi

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 27

PLEASE DON'T STONE ME

I made my first batch last week and though it was fine I was not as thrilled with it as I expected to be. Of couse, I didn't have any of the wedding bouquet flavoring so I used vanilla, butter and a little bit of princess bouquet. I didn't really like the flavor. I'm not crazy about the citrus taste in my frosting.

I was wondering what qualities of this frosting everyone loved. I will definitly give it another chance since I did like the amount that it made and the consistancy.

26 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 27

Think you answered your own question. icon_smile.gif

The flavor of most frostings can be changed by simply substituting other flavorings. So if you don't like wedding bouquet, or creme bouquet, etc. - use what you like.

What everyone loves about Sugarshack's b/c recipe (aside from taste):

No air bubbles
Very smooth
Thick & Creamy

Not having icing "issues" make frosting cakes and decorating so much easier.

Another Sugarshack b/c thread:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-590120-.html

HTH

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:01am
post #3 of 27

hey there!

You dont like my icing! what????????????? icon_eek.gif

JUST KIDDING!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif

I think Jan is right. You need to find the flavoring combo you like. The texture and crusting and workability of the icng is great, IMO. But the Wedding Bouquet gives it the prerfect flavor balance for us down here South.

I do not know what is in Princess, does it have creme bouquet in it? cuz that is citrusy, IMO.

Maybe try it with just butter, almond and vanilla? You may have to play with it till you find the flavor balance you like.
or maybe try the WB, Global sells it

HTH thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:13am
post #4 of 27

I am probably the only person on CC who doesn't care for Wedding Bouquet (runs in the other room and hides in the tub!!!!) icon_smile.gif My family prefers creme bouquet but I think it's more a matter of what you get used to, ya know?

I thought Sugarshack icing was a dream to work with....it crusted so I could use the mats and was pure white and very smooth! I did order the Sweetex and it works great - not sure how that would work with Crisco though....maybe a little too greasy?

My problem is everyone wants a 'not too sweet' icing. icon_rolleyes.gif Or they want whipped cream in August 110 degree heat - pfft!! Gimme a break. I would like to use solely Sugarshack icing for EVERYTHING because it makes the most impressive looking cakes and holds up awesome in the heat too.

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:35am
post #5 of 27

Jan's right. It's a matter of how you flavor it.

I happen to be married to a buttercream expert. icon_biggrin.gif He could eat the whole batch if I let him. No joke.

I did a taste test for him one time and he likes it when I use half butter, half crisco, canned milk, about 2 T of vanilla, and 1 t of salt in my buttercream. This is the basic recipe that uses 2lbs of PS.

There are other variations that I use, according to what the customer wants. I also use Indy's recipe especially when it's going to have to withstand a lot of heat.

What is Sugarshack's recipe? Do you have to buy the DVD to get it? I need to buy it to learn how to make my icing smoother.

sugarshack Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #6 of 27

No need to buy the DVD to learn the recipe ( just how to use it ! (tee hee)

4Gifts4Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
4Gifts4Lisa Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #7 of 27

I love the recipe...it is perfect for my weather out here (California). I love that it is thick and creamy, with no air bubbles. I do love the wedding bouquet, and so does my family. I also LOVE creme bouquet. I would NOT try the princess...I thought that was more for batters? I use wedding bouquet or creme bouquet depending on what my cake flavors are. Sometimes I don't want the citrus-y in there.

But all in all, I am a HUGE sugarshack icing fan.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:24am
post #8 of 27

Sugarshack - do you have to use the high ratio shortening? I don't know if it's sold locally where I live. Is there something else we can use?

thanks icon_lol.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:31am
post #9 of 27

I too am a Sugarshack fan. Love her BC. It goes on the cake so smoothly and is a dream to work with. I've had lots of people tell me they love the icing. I most often just use vanilla for the flavoring. I have a nephew who is very allergic to nuts, so I have to be careful. I have used the wedding bouquet though and like it.

cwcopeland --- The DVD's are well worth the investment!! thumbs_up.gif

sugarshack Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:42am
post #10 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by poshcakedesigns

Sugarshack - do you have to use the high ratio shortening? I don't know if it's sold locally where I live. Is there something else we can use?

thanks icon_lol.gif

hey Posh!

You do not HAVE to have hi ratio. It will perform better, but many people use regular shortening ( FULL trans fat) with sucess!

luelue1971 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:45am
post #11 of 27

I used the remainder of my Sugarshack buttercream to ice a cake today and have to admit it is great to work with. I just need to adjust my flavors to get them the way we like them.

I am down south as well Sugarshack so I may need to try the wedding bouquet. Is it at all citrusy like the creme bouquet and princess boquet?

luelue1971 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:10am
post #12 of 27

Sharon I just ordered the wedding bouquet and your dvd from Global. I can't wait to get it.

sugarshack Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:23am
post #13 of 27

GREAT! Thanks!

To me, the WB is not citrusy at all, although I think it prob has some citrus in it.

To me it is almondy, vanilla-y, butter-y and just perfect belance of unnamed other stuff. Let me know if you like it!

luelue1971 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:55am
post #14 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarshack

GREAT! Thanks!

To me, the WB is not citrusy at all, although I think it prob has some citrus in it.

To me it is almondy, vanilla-y, butter-y and just perfect belance of unnamed other stuff. Let me know if you like it!

Good, I just don't like the citrus and my combo of vanilla-butter and almond emulsions I used in my most recent batch of Tami's bc just wasn't that great. I think I used too much.

I had a look at your website and can't wait to be half as good at icing those cakes are you are. You are amazing.

sugarshack Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:03pm
post #15 of 27

Thanks Lue! You are too kind!

the WB does have a strong almond flavor to it, just as an FYI. Which we love down here. To me it does not overpower, but it is there. It is very hard to explain WB! HA!

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 25 May 2012 , 10:19pm
post #16 of 27

I know this is an old topic and I'm sure if anybody will see this or not but.......

I'm looking for a smooth, crusting buttercream that tastes good but doesn't use butter (it's too hot here in CA) I don't have any Sweetex or high ratio shortening so I was wondering what I could use? Will Crisco work? And is there anything I'd have to do differently to this recipe if I used Crisco?

Thanks so much.

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 26 May 2012 , 2:00am
post #17 of 27

Check your local grocery store brand. Marsh here where I live has their brand with trans fat (3.5 gr) and you can use that in place of the hi-ratio shortening. And it is normally cheaper than Crisco.

believer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
believer Posted 29 May 2012 , 3:46pm
post #18 of 27

My Family love SugarShack icing. It is easy to smooth. I have the DVD. My problem is Food Lion and Krogers stop selling the transfat shortening 3.0. I tried crisco - but not totally please with it. Do any of you know of a store in Virginia - that sell shortening with transfat. Thanks!

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 29 May 2012 , 3:52pm
post #19 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by believer

My Family love SugarShack icing. It is easy to smooth. I have the DVD. My problem is Food Lion and Krogers stop selling the transfat shortening 3.0. I tried crisco - but not totally please with it. Do any of you know of a store in Virginia - that sell shortening with transfat. Thanks!

I think the Walmart Good Value brand is what Edna uses in one of her buttercream videos. She prefers Hi Ratio but if she can't find it, she uses Good Value. (I THINK....) icon_confused.gif

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 May 2012 , 4:15pm
post #20 of 27

I saw the post and I thought "Everything!" I love the texture, the workability, the fact that it doesn't crack, that it has no airbubbles that it's bright white.

I am one to say that the hi-ratio does make a HUGE difference in the workability as well as the flavor. For the people looking for flavoring options. Look into some of the flavored coffee creamers. I use the powdered Italian Sweet Cream and touch of vanilla. I am not an overly sweet person so I also disolve a tsp of salt into my liquids. If you have a Hobby Lobby they carry LorAnn's Buttery Sweet Dough flavoring which is also nice in a frosting. I only use citrus flavoring if it compliments the cake but occasionally I do add a touch of lemon or lime juice if the frosting is too sweet. For the people who just won't go for a traditional buttercream, I do really like the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe here on CC. It's between a meringue and ABC. Don't give up on this recipe. It's the best and try your local cake store for the hi-ratio.
OK - sorry this is so long but one last note. Sharon and someone else gave me the tip of using the windex wipes to clean my mixer. OMG, I have a beautiful clean mixer in minutes now instead of the hour it used to take me to get it really clean.

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 29 May 2012 , 5:04pm
post #21 of 27

What is the basic recipe? I cant access it here and I have 3 12 inch layers and 3 6 in layers crumb coated and ready to go but can't get to the usual viva recipe I use...would love to try this one but I can't access it either

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 29 May 2012 , 5:20pm
post #22 of 27

I'm doing this off memory do forgive me if it's a little out if order - recipe for a 5 quart KA mixer;
5 heaping cups shortening (preferably hi ratio)
5 lbs of powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons of the flavoring of your choice. (vanilla/almond/Creme bouquet etc)
10-12 tablespoons HOT liquid (make liquid by heating water in microwave and dissolving equal parts powdered coffee creamer and water-meaning add 6 tablespoons of creamer to 6 tablespoons of boiling water )
Dissolve a tsp of salt into hot liquid

In mixer, combine shortening, flavoring and 3/4 of your hot liquid. How much liquid is heavily determined by the brand of shortening you use. So it's a little but of guess and check until you get the right consistency.

Mix the shortening and liquid until very smooth, then add a portion of powdered sugar, cover your mixer and blend well, then slowly keep adding the powdered sugar until well blended. Scrape down sides occassionally. After completely blended let mixer run another 5-7 minutes. You are going to think it will over flow but it won't. It's messy but worth it. Make the full batch and freeze the left oversicon_smile.gif

Last step- order Perfecting the Art of Buttercream at www.sugaredproductions.com to learn how to leverage this BC for a perfectly smooth cake!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 May 2012 , 8:54pm
post #23 of 27

.........looking for a smooth, crusting buttercream that tastes good but doesn't use butter (it's too hot here in CA)........

where in CA are you? I have used a recipe similar to this one w/butter and had NO problems with iticon_smile.gif (I'm in the cnetral valley: Fresno/Visalia area)

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 29 May 2012 , 9:07pm
post #24 of 27

I'm in Bakersfield (not too far from you)

Can I get your recipe? I have to make a wedding cake soon. It's actually going to the area you live in. LOL

I don't have air conditioning in my house, just a swamp cooler, so I need something that will be OK in a warm house.

Thanks so much. icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

.........looking for a smooth, crusting buttercream that tastes good but doesn't use butter (it's too hot here in CA)........

where in CA are you? I have used a recipe similar to this one w/butter and had NO problems with iticon_smile.gif (I'm in the cnetral valley: Fresno/Visalia area)

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 29 May 2012 , 10:08pm
post #25 of 27

WM Great Value took the trans fat out of their shortening. Aldi did too. I can still find 3% at my local Shop N Save.
I love using this recipe. I have started only doing 4 cups/ 4 lbs in my 5qt KA. the full recipe was getting all mucked up at the top of the beater in the spring. I also just purchased a pouring shield. With a bit of plastic wrap to finish up the coverage, the mess factor was WAY less!

qubanqtee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qubanqtee Posted 29 May 2012 , 10:25pm
post #26 of 27

this recipe is smooth, creamy and holds well in California Heat...I modified for the lack of humidity here in Cali and add 1 cup of the coffee creamer mixture instead of the 10- 12 tblspns....it's a fantastic recipe, holds well in heat, crusts beautifully and holds color well also...I order the Hi-Ratio via mail order as I think it truly makes a difference.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 May 2012 , 12:36am
post #27 of 27

Interesting that qubanqtee & my recipes that were in the body of our posts are not showing icon_sad.gif ?
Here is the recipe for Mickeebabe:

Variation of 2 of everything icing (for a crusting b'cream)
1 cup butter at room temp
2 cup shortening (I have always used Crisco)
2 powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons flavoring (*see note at end)

Cream butter and shortening for 5-7 minutes; add about 1/3 of the sugar & cream 5 minutes; add another 1/3 of the sugar along w/the flavoring; cream 5 minutes; add the remaining sugar, creaming for 10 minutes.
*Flavoring can be *ANY!* you want. I use 1 Tablespoon vanilla, 2 teaspoons butter flavor and 1 teaspoon almond.
I usually kept this mixed in lg amount to use in both cake batter & icing, & just measured out 2 T of the mixture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%