My First Fall...what Happened?

Decorating By StaceyC3 Updated 12 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm by poshcakedesigns

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #31 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

How did the customer transport the cake? In a box sitting on the car seat?

Nope - I actually delivered it myself, less than a five mile drive away, VERRRRRY slowly. I put in in the flat floorboard of my car, in a box, on shelf liner. I usually put them in the back (flat) of my Durango, but I wanted to WATCH this one!

Quote:
Quote:

I made a topsy-turvy last year and the top layer (3-tiers) did split and fall. It was too tall and tapered.

I do feel like that top cake may have been a little too tapered and top heavy (I know lots of you all do tiny tiers on top of whimsy cakes, but maybe I'm just not at that skill level quite yet!) I definitely think that could have been what happened, Mac.

Quote:
Quote:

I drive the sharpened dowel all the way thru the cake and into the foamboard.

I may have to give foamboard a try - I used three cardboard rounds taped together and covered with freezer paper, but I did sharpen the dowel and drive it all the way into that.

Quote:
Quote:

Raspberry filling is one of my top sellers and I have never had any problems with a cake sliding. If it is dammed properly, and not overfilled, it should be fine!

Oh, yeah, my customers gobble up my raspberry filling! I've never had a slider (YET!!), but I'm still not confident enough to try it with a topsy cake!

Quote:
Quote:

My question also is how did you create the topsy turvey affect? Remember, a topsy turvey cake should be the ILLUSION that it is going to fall over..you don't actually set a cake directly on an angled cake like you would a normal tiered cake.

I just tapered the bottom tier - I didn't actually angle the top of that tier, so the top cake was sitting on a perfectly flat, doweled surface (just like any regular two tiered, except the top cake was tapered and angled). I've read the instructions on CC on building a tilted, whimsical cake about 30 times, and I'm still afraid to try the "true" whimsy, with the "shelf" cut into the bottom for the top tier.

However, I DID see instructions right here in a CC forum just a few weeks ago about building a topsy cake with the top tier sitting right on top of an angled cake, and then running a central dowel. Seemed a little risky to me, but apparently that system is working for someone!

Quote:
Quote:

was your fillings well dammed with good strong (more sugar added) buttercream?

My only filling was regular BC (indydebi's recipe). I did go a little lighter than usual on the liquid, just so it would be a bit stiffer than usual. No other fillings - just good old chocolate cake and buttercream!

I just appreciate all of your input so much, everybody. I have been dwelling on this all weekend (my husband would say OBSESSED), and I do think I've come to the conclusion that I shouldn't have taken it in and out of the freezer twice, and also that I should NOT have iced it frozen.

I would love to hear any other input if anyone else has any ideas, especially a good recipe for a firmer cake batter - I know there's a recipe section on CC, just don't know which one is a good one to start with!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #32 of 32

I'm sorry that happened. It was a very pretty cake.

I have used box mixes for TT cakes and not had any problems (THANK GOODNESS)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%