Coloring Fondant

Decorating By Roli Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 3:38am by 1nanette

Roli Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 5

I have been working on a fourth of July cake for this Sunday. I made the red fondant last night, but no matter how much food coloring I added, it still remains a color that one would expect from a tub of sea foam playdough. How do you get a solid, and very red colored fondant?! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:38am
post #2 of 5

Well I mean if you have any good red color left, you could paint it on. Mix some food color with lemon extract or alcohol and it will paint on there. I use small amounts at a time.

Some of those deeper colors can be purchased already colored--check with your local cake store. I know that doesn't help for now but that's at least an idea for going forward.

sugarshack Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:57am
post #3 of 5

it takes a TON of red color to get it red. then it is a goopy mess that you have to add cornstatch and tylose to to make it workable.

premade red is easist to start with.

loriemoms Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:23am
post #4 of 5

IF the entire cake is red, you can also airbrush it. Otherwise, I agree, get the predyed stuff for rich colors. Especailly yellows, reds and hot pink!

1nanette Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #5 of 5

Red is easier to achieve when you start out with the deepest pink you can make. However, its easiest to buy fondant already red. If you cant get it locally Global Sugar Art carries it. You can make red MMf really easily too. I needed red for a graduation cake last week it was my first time making tinted MMF and it was totally effortless and I didnt get red hands. I used Lisas Best MMF Ever. After melting the marshmallows you add the red coloring. I used a little more than half a bottle of Americolor Red Red. Then I poured the Red Red marshmallow into my KA and added the powdered sugar. After a few minutes I had true red fondant. You may still have to knead the dough some adding more sugar if necessary. HTH.

Lynette

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%