Question Cream Cheese, Complaint Badger

Decorating By gracecakes Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm by heather12112

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:04pm
post #1 of 14

First off I am very upset with my badger airbrush compressor that I bought about 2 months ago, only used 3 times and it burnt out and broke on me. Stressed out! I can't find my receipt and I have a huge cake due next week. Anyway I am figuring that out.

My real question is, the cake I am making next week which is a carrot cake, carved Fennway Park grooms cake will be covered in fondant. My only question is, If I can't refrigerate the cake due to the fondant and also due to the sheer size of it can I still do the lemon cream cheese filling, or is that too dangerous. I heard that the sugar content in that frosting/filling is so high that it stabalizes and doesn't need to be refrigerated.

Does anyone have a good alternative, like should I just flavor my BC with lemon?

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 14

There's the sleeve fillings. There's cream cheese flavor. But I would not do the real cream cheese filling myself.

Carrot cake sounds soft for a fondant covered sculpture. I could be totally wrong. It seems like it would shrink more under the weight and kept at room temp.

But I'm totally not trying to freak you out. Maybe you've done this before. Carrot cake doesn't seem particularly sculpty to me.

I mean this is why I frige all my cakes even the fondant ones. I learned on my own and I broke all the rules and it works for me.

I'm sure someone smart will chime in for you.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:08pm
post #3 of 14

You can refrigerate fondant cakes. I do all the time.

A cream cheese buttercream made with (for example) 1 cup butter and 1 cup cream cheese to 2 pounds of powdered sugar is room-temp safe for about 3 days.

I'm with k8memphis on the carrot cake perhaps not being the best sculpting cake. Good carrot cake has grated carrots, walnuts, pineapple, and is very moist...chunky, wet cake is not suitable for carving.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:12pm
post #4 of 14

or get the oil flavorings and just make a cream cheese flavored BC

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #5 of 14

"A cream cheese buttercream made with (for example) 1 cup butter and 1 cup cream cheese to 2 pounds of powdered sugar is room-temp safe for about 3 days. "

I'll vouch for the above statement, as I did it for a cake a few weeks ago (on a 97 degree day!) and it worked great.

As for the carrot cake, I remember a post a while back where someone was very upset that it was a mess to tore & level (because it tore where the knife hit nuts or raisins) and was even worse for carving. My carrot cakes are heavy & moist, so I reserve those for basic shapes only.

JMHO.

Rae

gracecakes Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you all. To K8memphis and Doug, thank you so much I never knew there were cream cheese flavorings, I can't wait to see what else they've doctored up. Its like something out of Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. where can I get those.

To CakePro and Blakes Cakes. Thank you for telling me the good news I wanted to hear, that cream cheese frosting mixed w/ butter and stabalized with lots of sugar is safe outside of fridge for a time.

To you all. I am a very boring carrot cake maker. Mine is plain, the kitchen aid recipe and I MIGHT, might not even put nuts just because its for a wedding and I don't even want the potential of a nut alergy issue. I might switch the cake to yellow and carrot stacked alt. I was a little misleading when I said carved. Only the building will be actual cake, so its pretty rectangular. It just stacked pretty high and only 3" wide. Anyway wish me luck. Thanks again.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:47pm
post #7 of 14

Oh great! about the sculpture being more about the decor rather than the carving. I was hoping.

Those sleeve fillings can be purchased from cake deco stores, online cake supply stores too.

You'll do great! Can't wait for pictures.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:38pm
post #8 of 14

look for LorAnn Oils -- cheesecake flavor.

sold at better candy/decorating stores and all over online.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 2:55pm
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

look for LorAnn Oils -- cheesecake flavor.

sold at better candy/decorating stores and all over online.

This is my favorite! I just bought a big bottle here... http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_sresults.html

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 14

Y'all are spot-on about the LorAnn cheesecake flavor....I recently did a bunch of strawberry cupcakes that needed cheesecake filling but had to be out at room temp for many hours, so I made a batch of WBH BC and added the LorAnn cheesecake oil. It wasn't cheesecake texture, obviously, but tasted super yummy. icon_smile.gif

Have fun with your cake, gracecakes!

Sherri

gracecakes Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 2:36am
post #11 of 14

thanks all,
I will post pics hopefully by Sunday which is my birthday! woo

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:08am
post #12 of 14

while the size of the cake is a whole other issue, fondant covered cakes CAN be refrigerated. I'm clueless as to why so many people seem to think they can't be.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 2:37pm
post #13 of 14

I did a topsy turvey carrot cake about a year ago..I chopped up the raisons a little and the nuts a little finer and it worked great for carving...although I dont know if a sculpted cake would work, but a stadium it might work!

heather12112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather12112 Posted 11 Jul 2008 , 4:35pm
post #14 of 14

My cream cheese frosting is 1/2 c. butter with 1 brick cream cheese, 1 # powdered sugar and 2 t. vanilla (yummy!).

I, too, have refrigerated fondant. Caution, though, if the cake temp. comes down too quickly, it may sweat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%