Frosting For A Hot Outdoor Texas Party

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm by butterflywings

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 4

I'm sure that this has been asked and answered before, but ... I am doing two 1/2 sheet cakes for a birthday party on July 11. The party will be outside and the temperature will be close to 100. What kind of frosting can I use that won't completely melt off the cakes?

The cakes are white chocolate raspberry with raspberry filling and dark chocolate. I don't personally care for all shortening frosting, but I'm not sure that "butter-buttercream" would hold up in the heat. I don't have access to high ratio shortening locally and it is just way too hot to have any shipped this summer, so I will have to use regular Crisco. Would adding melted white chocolate to the white frosting help or hurt the cause?

I appreciate any and all suggestions. Thanks for your help.

Martha

3 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 4

There is a hot weather buttercream recipe here on cake central. I used it for a large cake that sat outside in over 100 degrees for over 2 hours before it was served. There were no problems.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I'll see if I can find the recipe.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:45pm
post #4 of 4

indydebi's buttercream also passes the "hot & humid" test. she uses regular old crisco and it tastes YUMMMYYY!!!! I think b/c she adds the dreamwhip, it doesn't have that normal "all shortening" taste... i hate that taste, too. oh, and i tend to sub in almond extract for the vanilla (and sometimes go 1/2 & 1/2) and OH MY GOD the taste is to DIE FOR!!!

here's a link to the recipe http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%