How To Thin Color For Painting Fondant

Decorating By doodlebugs Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm by Michelle104

doodlebugs Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 6

CAn someone tell me what I can use other than vodka to think color to paint on fondant. This will be the first time I have done this, and I don't have any vodka to use, was hoping that there was something more "common" that I would have around the house that I could use. Thanks in advance!

5 replies
Michelle104 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 6

You can use any kind of extracts that you have for your cakes. Lemon or vanilla. I like the vanilla the best as to not add the slight lemon flavor. Unless of course your cake is lemon....hope this helps! icon_biggrin.gif

SUELA Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:11pm
post #3 of 6

I have used glycerin as well.

veronica720 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 6

What do you use to paint with? Is it just the gel colors or is there something different you have to use?

mashmellow Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 6

Das glycerin or the extracts, works the same as the vodka , I mean are the color permanent ? the color won't run?

Michelle104 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 6

I don't know about the glycerin but the extracts work the same as vodka. I actually like the extract better, it seems like it dries faster for me. As far as running, just make sure that there isn't to much liquid on your paintbrush and it shouldn't run. I just use whatever paintbrush I want as long as I have it set aside to use on my cakes only.

Quote by @%username% on %date%