White Dots/spots/speckles Around Top Edge

Decorating By itsasweetthing Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm by -K8memphis

itsasweetthing Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 8

I am wondering if you can tell me how this technique is done. Best way to describe it is to say it looks like white dots/spots/speckles around the top edge of each teir. I will try to attach a picture of the cake that I am making.
LL

7 replies
itsasweetthing Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 8

Not the best picture....It can be seen mostly along the top edge of the bottom tier.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 8

Wow what a cool way to look at it. I see those as dots around the bottom of every tier ha!

So there's a coupla different ways.

You can buy little pearls and place them one by one.

You can make pearls out of fondant.

You can make a string of pearls out of fondant with a mold.

And you can also pipe little dots with a like #5 or #9 tube or any round tube. Just squeeze release squeeze release out pops little dots. Cake decorator tubes also called tips.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsasweetthing

Not the best picture....It can be seen mostly along the top edge of the bottom tier.

Oh my gosh I was wrong--I thought you meant the borders!! Duh on me. I can't see the ones you mean but just barely.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 8

Is it crimping?

itsasweetthing Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 8

I have just gotten an answer from a bakery that it may have been done with a sponge and royal icing. Here is another example.
LL

itsasweetthing Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 8

If you look closely you'll see it along top edge of each tier (on right side of picture is mostly clear)

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:46pm
post #8 of 8

The sponge thing is interesting or maybe just piped?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%