Working With Fondont

Decorating By rorolovesjesus Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm by sugarshack

rorolovesjesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rorolovesjesus Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 5

I'm new to this site and new to using fondont. Of course my first attempt has to be my son's wedding cake. Can anyone give me pointers for working with fondont on a square cake? icon_smile.gif

4 replies
Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:31pm
post #2 of 5

First of all, welcome to Cake Central. You will find amazing cake artists here that are more than happy to share their knowledge. You are a far braver soul than I to do a fondant wedding cake your first time using it! Fondant can be temperamental to work with at times. My best advice, do not use Wiltons fondant! It tastes horrible. Search for fondant here, there are a few different recipes. Make a few and choose the one you like best as far as taste and how it works for you. Practice as much as you can with it. For me, the keys have been making sure its rolled evenly, and taking my time. If I try to rush with fondant I will tear it every time!

rwarhank Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarhank Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 5

Start by looking in the articles:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article22-How-To-Cover-Your-Cake-in-Fondant.html how to cover cake in fondant.

I think aine2 also has a video although I couldn't find it

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 5

I would try to cover the cake, to find out what works for you and what you struggled with. Fondant is so much fun though, but there are so many aspects to it, you may find you have no trouble at all, or one very specific thing.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 11:53pm
post #5 of 5

for squares, do the corners first snd then smooth down the middles

corner corner middle
corner corner middle
corner corner middle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%