Second Request, Tips Please:)

Decorating By woodthi32 Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm by rwarhank

woodthi32 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:17pm
post #1 of 6

Any tips on how to attain a clean edge on the bottom of each tier for a stacked cake? I have seen many cakes with such clean bottom edges that they didn't need any trim or anything between tiers. I can never do that. They get messed up from handling, stacking, what have you. Tips appreciated!!

5 replies
Heatherly30 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 6

I am right there with you! I am finally mastering smooth buttercream, thanks to Sugarshack, but when I stack them, I ALWAYS have to add a border. Hopefully someone can help us out!

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:27pm
post #3 of 6

Well when you stack cakes you just go back and repair the damage. But insert your dowel and then pull your dowel back up when stacking a cake on top and set the cake on the pulled up dowel so you have a little leeway to get your hands out as it settles back down.

I mean ice your cake so the icing covers all the way down to the bottom then just repair the spots that get smooshed. Add icing as necessary and smooth with a little baby spatula.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:30pm
post #4 of 6

I mean if need be just pipe a line of icing all the way around the bottom edge and then use the baby spatula and smooth out the seam. Use the heat from your fingers if it's a crusting bc. Go over it with a paper towel. However you smoothed it in the first place. Some use water.

rwarhank Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 6

I prefer to use the paper towel method to smooth but sugarshack has a DVD which includes using the copy paper method to smooth. While you're waiting for the DVD you can find a quick look of her DVD on YouTube. I cannot recall the exact name but it's in the forums

rwarhank Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 6

Found them

Perfecting the Art of Buttercream DVD

Flawless Fondant DVD

Successful Stacking DVD

www.sugaredproductions.com

www.sharonssugarshack.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%