Painting Fondant Metallic Gold

Decorating By deanwithana Updated 6 Feb 2015 , 4:11am by lsneed62

deanwithana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deanwithana Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #1 of 24

Hello Everyone!!! I need some help!!! I have seen many cakes where there are gold accents that are standing....for example a heart....if I want to make a gold heart stand and have my final product be gold in color.....do I lay to dry and then paint with luster dust or paint it first before it dries. Also, do I need to start out with yellow as my base color, or any color or white do??? I am hoping that someone can answer as I am looking to do a cake this weekend that has standing gold accents.......I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!! Also, I hope this makes sense!!!

23 replies
sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:42am
post #2 of 24

i start with white and paint with gold highlighter mixed with vodka if i want a metallic gold look.

HTH

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:55am
post #3 of 24

Starting out with a gold/yellow colored fondant will help the gold be more bright once you paint it. I'd let it dry first before painting, the paint makes it a little soggy so let it dry a few days, paint, then continue to dry another day or two.

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 24

You'll be a lot happier with the final color and luster if you use Highlighter instead of plain Luster Dust. It covers better and makes a much more metallic finish.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 24

OK, I think I'm ignorant. What exactly is highlighter and how is it different from lustre dust mixed with vodka????? Thanks - PAT

deanwithana Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 8:58pm
post #6 of 24

Thanks everyone!!!! I am also wondering what is highlighter versus luster????

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 24

Hi there. I use gold luster dust mixed with lemon extract and the advantage is that it dries really quickly with no streaks and the smell is lovely. However, I have also used Vodka which is just as effective. The trick is to make the mixture neither too thin or too thick. Hope this helps!

drwendy Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 24

Highlighter is just a different product than Luster Dust....similar substance, it's a powder that you mix with vodka or lemon extract and paint on with a brush. It's just that it mixes into a much more opaque metallic finish than any of the Luster colors. Buy some and you'll see the difference. It's just called "Highlighter" and it comes in gold and silver (maybe copper or bronze, I'm not sure). Whenever you see the folks competing on TV and they are painting what looks like real liquid gold, it's highlighter. Have fun!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 24

PS Always test your colour on a piece of fondant before painting it on your cake. I've been caught out a few times and it's been very painful!

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 10:41pm
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwendy

Highlighter is just a different product than ....similar substance, it's a powder that you mix with vodka or lemon extract and paint on with a brush. It's just that it mixes into a much more opaque metallic finish than any of the Luster colors. Buy some and you'll see the difference. It's just called "Highlighter" and it comes in gold and silver (maybe copper or bronze, I'm not sure). Whenever you see the folks competing on TV and they are painting what looks like real liquid gold, it's highlighter. Have fun!

Does anyone have a link to this highlighter? I searched around and can't find it icon_confused.gif - thanks in advance to any info.

drwendy Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #11 of 24

I get mine at sugar-craft...I'm lucky enough to live near them so I can just go get it. They have a website but I think Cake Central has had a tiff with them because if I post it, they'll just delete it. So look for that name WITHOUT the hyphen online, you'll find them and they have it. I have had nothing but good luck with them, but as I say, I just drive over and get it, never tried online.

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:23pm
post #12 of 24

Hi, I had trouble with my gold looking streaky and uneven and a fellow CCer told me this (I think I actually have highlighter, dunno, but it actually looks like liquid gold when mixed with vodka, like someone said)
But mix it little by little until you have something slightly thinner than a paste.
paint it on, if the fondant is dry, it's best, but if you can't let it dry it'll work ok
key is-DON'T go over it with another wet coat! It'll get smeary and tacky and gross looking
let it dry a little and then paint over it with a DRY coat of the dust.
It worked like magic when I did it, no giant smears or streaks!

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:32pm
post #13 of 24

I, too an having trouble finding Highlighter...I HOPE somebody other that S*****Craft carries it!
Sugarshack, where do you get yours?
Thanks

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:53pm
post #14 of 24

I got mine at the Kerekes store, http://www.bakedeco.com/
look under cake icing, then pearl and luster dust, and it's on the last page, 24 karat gold dust non-toxic and silver dust non-toxic for highlighting only

deanwithana Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 4:19am
post #15 of 24

Oh thank you!!! Thank you!!!! This helps tremendously for the next time!!!!

melkneec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melkneec Posted 18 Jul 2008 , 5:39pm
post #16 of 24

I found some Highlighter on the Global Sugar Art website by searching for highlighter. HTH

SheriCakes4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheriCakes4u Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 24

I looked at the Highlighter on Global Sugar Art, and it says it's non-edible. Is there anything out there that IS edible that will give you the beautiful gold/silver look?

cfpeoples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cfpeoples Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:31pm
post #18 of 24

I have several in my gallery. if it's a design painted on, i mix super gold lustre dust with almond extract and paint on the design. If it is for a bigger area (i have a red and gold cake in my gallery you can look at) i started with light yellow fondant, then just brushed on the super gold dust in powder form while the fondant was still fresh. It was brilliantly gold. but for little swirls or whatever, yes i mix it and paint it. I get the super gold at global sugar art too.

Bskinne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bskinne Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:33pm
post #19 of 24

I just used the silver highlighter mixed with confectioner's glaze for my giraffe cake....and asked the cake store about the non-edible label. I was told that although they put that on there, you'd have to down the whole little container and it might upset your stomach then, but it's really negligible...the way I figured, the fondant gets peeled off half the time, anyway....lol.
On a side note, maybe I'm a cake nerd, but I LOVED the highlighter, and swore I was going to have a completely silver cake before it was all said and done. icon_smile.gif

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 24 Jan 2011 , 3:34pm
post #20 of 24

I use liquid airbrush color. None of my posted picks have gold, but the handles on my pig purse cake do - the gold has the same effect. It's super easy and inexpensive. No mixing involved.

LOLLODOO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LOLLODOO Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 12:42pm
post #21 of 24

Where do I buy Sparkle dust Metalic cake Paing

LOLLODOO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LOLLODOO Posted 23 Jan 2013 , 12:43pm
post #22 of 24

Where do I buy Sparkle dust Metalic cake Paint

raniafayed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raniafayed Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 1:38am
post #23 of 24

you can find the gold highlighter dust on global sugar art