Whimsical Cake Help?

Decorating By turtle3264 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 3:11am by turtle3264

turtle3264 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:40am
post #1 of 6

I have been asked to do a cake like this one from www.pinkcakebox.com. With this type of cake do you use pans that are 2 inches different in size, like 6, 8 and 10? Also, I am planning on making the middle tier red. I am going to do the whole cake in buttercream except for the accents, the will be mmf. Are there any tips to airbrushing buttercream? Thanks
LL

5 replies
cakequeen50 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:46am
post #2 of 6

don't put your cake together until the middle tier is airbrushed. Way too much chance of getting red on the other cakes. When airbrushing, do not "overspray". In other words, use sweeping back and forth motions that do not overlap at sides. Too much spray and it will collect and bleed. I like to airbrush it, then after it dries for a couple minutes, go back over it.

I made a red cake(in my photos) and started out with medium red buttercream and then airbrushed red over it so there wasn't a bitter taste of color or too much airbrush that if touched, you see white b.c..

This cake seems to be a 6-8-10 or 5-7-9, the 2" difference.

Can't wait to see the final pics when you post them.

turtle3264 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:03am
post #3 of 6

Wow! Your red cake looks great! Sometimes when I ice a cake in bc, it has tiny little cracks in it when I move it. Do you know if the white will show through if it has tiny cracks in it? I have only airbrushed mmf accents before, never bc. Thanks

turtle3264 Posted 12 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #4 of 6

I finished the cake today. I had trouble with the bow. It was too heavy, so I had to do it another way. I had trouble with the mmf too. It was kind of crumbly. I used cookie cutters for the "50".
LL

LittleLinda Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 2:09am
post #5 of 6

It came out awesome> What was their reaction?

turtle3264 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:11am
post #6 of 6

It was for a friend's mother. She loved it. I haven't heard what her Mom's reaction was yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%