I Need Fondant Help!

Decorating By Molly2 Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 4:21am by CakeMakar

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:32am
post #1 of 19

I am working with a lot of fondant and gum paste on one of the biggest cakes I have ever made my question is when working with the sugar dough some of it is colored will I use powder sugar to keep it from sticking but when I put it in place there is a lot of white powder sugar in my fondant how do I clean that up with out messing my decoration up I did you a pastry brush it did get some of the sugar off but I still have white spots on my fondant

Molly2

18 replies
Molly2 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #2 of 19

Anybody

Molly icon_sad.gif

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:32am
post #3 of 19

rub just a tiny bit of shortening on them witha q tip or brush or viva. it will absorb in and not be shiny.

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:42am
post #4 of 19

I used vodka, but use a piece of cotton material not paper towels otherwise you get bits of paper towel come off! icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:57am
post #5 of 19

Thank You so much I will try that

Molly2

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:14am
post #6 of 19

Lightly airbrush it with vodka.

mrs_morton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrs_morton Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:27am
post #7 of 19

I used to use powdered sugar to roll my fondant but now I use the plastic sheeting you can find in the walmart craft section and PAM nonstick spray. No powdered sugar and no stick. Just lightly spray the plastic (I get the thickest one) and your rolling pin or fondant roller with PAM then roll. I've never had fondant stick to it at all. Sometimes I lightly spray my hands if they are sticky.I found this tip somewhere on CC.

butterflywings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterflywings Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:07am
post #8 of 19

i rarely use powdered sugar or cornstarch anymore. i use a little shortening to grease my work area, my roller or tools and my hands.

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:27am
post #9 of 19

yes, i too use the plastic "fabric" (what is that for anyway, to waterproof tablecloths?) from walmart or other suppliers.
it also works great for cookies as well, especially gingerbread men, or if you have a huge order.

Molly2 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:16am
post #10 of 19

Thank You I did do the shortening way now I have another question I have covered my cake with the fondant but I want to add more decoration to it after my fondant dries can I still add using gum paste glue are is it too late

molly2

miny Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:38am
post #11 of 19

Yes, you can use only water if you want, a little works really well.

Molly2 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:35pm
post #12 of 19

So I can not use the gum paste glue

Molly2

miny Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 10:12pm
post #13 of 19

You can use it but water works well too, your choice.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:02pm
post #14 of 19

I would think water would leave a water spot on the fondant??? I use shortening.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 2:44am
post #15 of 19

any of the abpove will work

water
shortening
piping gel
gum glue

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:38am
post #16 of 19

Never thought of the plastic/vinyl idea, but the shortening woks great for me!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 3:54am
post #17 of 19

I too use the vinyl from WM and cooking spray.

You can get a yard of this in the fabric dept. for under $3.

Don't waste your money on the Wilton fondant mat it's not worth the money (flimsy, thin and wants to curl up)

HTH

Cruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cruz Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:11am
post #18 of 19

The vinyl is the way to go when using colored fondant because you don't have to worry about white spots from powdered sugar/cornstarch. Also, makes it easier to cover big cakes because the fondant sticks to the plastic until you flip it over on to the cake.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 4:21am
post #19 of 19

You can get a Preval Sprayer (from a home store - like Home Depot or Lowe's) for $3-5 bucks. Put vodka in the glass bottle and spray over the cake. (Do NOT turn it upside down while you're spraying! I learned that one the hard way!) It works great.

As I know this will probably come up: there is some question to its safety with food. I've been using one for years. Duff uses one on Ace of Cakes. Another decorator at a local bakery uses one. No one's died yet, but just so the information is out there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%