Help With Hydrangea Cake

Decorating By calebsmom45 Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm by cake-angel

calebsmom45 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:30am
post #1 of 9

I already posted questions about this cake before but I still need all the help I can get. I am fine with the cake and making the flowers but I am still unsure about coloring the flowers. Here is the cake!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1046543.html

I know she talks about using the dipping method, but I am a bit unsure about amounts and colors and such. I ordered rose and some other pink luster dust. Does anyone want to take a stab at what color is used on these? My main question is how to do the topper? I can't tell if the flowers are on wires or glued to something. I already bugged the original maker once so I thought I would ask everyone to see what you guys think. I really want it to come out just as pretty as this one for my sister, I think I am just overthinking everything. I also am using round not hexagon cakes, do yall think it will look as nice? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

8 replies
antonia74 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 9

I'm guessing you have already PM'ed Peggylicious? Maybe you should try sending her an email through her website, which she probably checks a few times daily due to her clients. icon_smile.gif

In her profile, it's listed there.

If you let her know you were a member here and wanted to recreate her lovely cake, I'm sure she'd give you tips. (She knows her techniques better than anyone else here could guess at! icon_rolleyes.gif )

calebsmom45 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:13am
post #3 of 9

Yes, I mentioned that I already bugged her once and don't want to be a pain. I know how busy people are ( including myself) I just wanted to see if anyone here had some thoughts on this cake. Thanks, I will probabbly email her again, sometimes it helps me to hear a couple of opinions on how to get things done

calebsmom45 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #4 of 9

Nobody? I am really just interested in the dipping method or an easy way to color the flowers. Thanks

dragonflydreams Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:49am
post #5 of 9

. . . I think she does a pretty good job of explaining the "dip method" in the comments section of the cake . . .

Quote:
Quote:

thanks guys for the compliments. The dipping method is pretty simple. All you do is mix some petal dust with claer alcohol (preferably everclear) and dip the flower into the alcohol mixture. Have a second cup or bowl where you can swirl the diped flower in to get rid of the excess color.

. . . why don't you just give it a go??

. . . as far as the topper goes I suspect it is wired . . . there is also this video that may be of some assistance . . . they start with the clay (but I expect you would use gumpaste) already colored . . . maybe that is an option for you too? . . . http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0/?vgnextoid=22665288a4509110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&vgnextfmt=default&rsc=ts_Homepage_Homepage

calebsmom45 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 9

I took everyones's advice and pmed peggylicious and no response. icon_cry.gif I hate to bug people. I gave it a go and tried to mix luster dust with vodka but I just made a mess. I also tried making the flowers pink first but they don't look as realistic as the ones in the original picture! Help me learn to paint flowers...please!!!! Alright they aren't that bad but I really like how soft pink and delicate her flowers look and mine just look fake and pink.... Do I need to use petal dust instead of luster dust? ARe they the same thing? I have tried looking all of this up and I can't find exactlly what I need. What consistency do I need to paint? I tried the dipping method, I just made a sticky wet mess of thick purplish pink color. Good thing I started two months ahead of time, I really need help!! Thanks everyone who has replied so much! icon_razz.gif

cake-angel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 9

Petal dust and Lustre dust are completely different. Petal dusts are more chalky and not shiny. They create a matte finish to what you put them on. Lustre dusts have some metallic like pigments and leave a shiny finish. You would definately get a different finish to yur flowers using petal dusts. Petal dusts also come in a great variety of colors.
I am afraid I cannot help you with the dipping technique as I have never tried it (actually this is the first I have heard of it.)

calebsmom45 Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks! Can you color flowers with petal dust easier than with luster dust?

cake-angel Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 9:28pm
post #9 of 9

Well - My experience using petal dust has always been brushing it on dry with artist brushes (new ones that are only used for cakes). I then very lighty steam the flowers to set the dust. I find brushing dry gives a more suttle and blended color where painting wet will give you a deeper more intense color that is more defined. Compared to lustre dust - I think petal dusts do apply a little more easily than lustres and provide a more realistic color finish.
My best guess for the dipping method used is that she varied the quantity of dust to vodka so for example - she used the most dust for the darkest ones and then diluted the mixture for the next set etc. The rinse bowl seems like she put the flowers out of the dipping bowl into the rinse vodkae to remove some of the color and then set them aside to dry. The floers would seem slightly sticky until they dried. Using the alcohol would cause the drying time to be fairly quick. Water would disintigrate the flowers a bit and takes foreverto dry on gumpaste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%