Any Thoughts On This Icing

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm by dinas27

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #1 of 14

I hope my picture will be clear enogh for everyone. but I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to what icing would be the best for the this cake. It is for a wedding next month. I was thinking stiffer buttercream, in the picture the icing looks rough, almost cracking from being stiff? I am not sure what would you use?

Please all ideas welcome,
Janice
LL

13 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 14

I'd just use a chocolate crusting buttercream and "swirl" it with your knife while icing it.

jolmk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolmk Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #3 of 14

You can get the swirls in the icing using the back of a spoon.

Jo

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #4 of 14

Speaking as someone who isn't a huge fan of buttercream icing (I know--blasphemous! icon_eek.gif ):

The icing doesn't need to be smoothed or to be of a particular consistency for piping, flowers, or other decorations, so why not make a really fudgy frosting? Maybe try one that has milk, butter, sugar and high-quality dark chocolate cooked together? I'd check to see how stable it would be without refrigeration-- fudge itself can sit out, and it's possible that cooking to such a high temp would make it safe outside for at least a little while.

My thought is that if a bride is a big enough fan of chocolate to have it on her wedding cake, she'll want it to be an amazingly awesome chocolate. (That's my plan if I ever have another wedding.) Pretty, pretty cake.

Just my two cents, coming from a chocolate-fiend.

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 14

This is a really delicious chocolate buttercream, and it crusts so I think you can achieve this look. Did I mention that it is really delicious, eat with a spoon delicious?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #6 of 14

Ok, now THREE posts is just weird. Musta been a hiccup in my laptop.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

This is a really delicious chocolate buttercream, and it crusts so I think you can achieve this look. Did I mention that it is really delicious, eat with a spoon delicious?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

This recipe sounds delicious BakingGirl but what does it mean when it says on the ingredients 3 lbs. 10X confectioners' sugar, what's the 10X means? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 14

I think the 10X just means the fine-ess of the grind of the confectionary sugar. The regular powdered sugar you buy is 10X.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 14

Ahhhhh that makes sense, thank you, I just don't like to assume anything and mess this delish frosting icon_rolleyes.gif

BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 14

Ah, just thinking about it makes me wonder if I should go through my freezer. You never know, there might be a tub of the delish chocolate buttercream lurking in there somewhere! Mmmm. And this is coming from someone who does not like buttercream.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lightningale21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lightningale21 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 14

I would use a whipped chocolate ganache, then you can adjust the stiffness. Mmmmmm chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif

spoonfedcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spoonfedcake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 14

I like to use duncan heines canned frosting and the back of a warm spoon. YUM-OH the sour cream frosting is so good. that cake looks good too.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 14

i would also use a whipped semisweet chocolate ganache. I just used this in a grooms cake which had a rough icing look - havent posted the pics yet and you could definately get that look with it using a spoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%