Any Thoughts On This Icing

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm by dinas27

matwogirls Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:16am
post #1 of 14

I hope my picture will be clear enogh for everyone. but I was wondering if anyone had ideas as to what icing would be the best for the this cake. It is for a wedding next month. I was thinking stiffer buttercream, in the picture the icing looks rough, almost cracking from being stiff? I am not sure what would you use?

Please all ideas welcome,
Janice
LL

13 replies
karateka Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:28am
post #2 of 14

I'd just use a chocolate crusting buttercream and "swirl" it with your knife while icing it.

jolmk Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:22am
post #3 of 14

You can get the swirls in the icing using the back of a spoon.

Jo

dawncr Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:35am
post #4 of 14

Speaking as someone who isn't a huge fan of buttercream icing (I know--blasphemous! icon_eek.gif ):

The icing doesn't need to be smoothed or to be of a particular consistency for piping, flowers, or other decorations, so why not make a really fudgy frosting? Maybe try one that has milk, butter, sugar and high-quality dark chocolate cooked together? I'd check to see how stable it would be without refrigeration-- fudge itself can sit out, and it's possible that cooking to such a high temp would make it safe outside for at least a little while.

My thought is that if a bride is a big enough fan of chocolate to have it on her wedding cake, she'll want it to be an amazingly awesome chocolate. (That's my plan if I ever have another wedding.) Pretty, pretty cake.

Just my two cents, coming from a chocolate-fiend.

BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:36am
post #5 of 14

This is a really delicious chocolate buttercream, and it crusts so I think you can achieve this look. Did I mention that it is really delicious, eat with a spoon delicious?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

dawncr Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:44am
post #6 of 14

Ok, now THREE posts is just weird. Musta been a hiccup in my laptop.

miny Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:10am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

This is a really delicious chocolate buttercream, and it crusts so I think you can achieve this look. Did I mention that it is really delicious, eat with a spoon delicious?

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/CHOCOLATE-BUTTERCREAM-109248

This recipe sounds delicious BakingGirl but what does it mean when it says on the ingredients 3 lbs. 10X confectioners' sugar, what's the 10X means? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 14

I think the 10X just means the fine-ess of the grind of the confectionary sugar. The regular powdered sugar you buy is 10X.

miny Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 14

Ahhhhh that makes sense, thank you, I just don't like to assume anything and mess this delish frosting icon_rolleyes.gif

BakingGirl Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 14

Ah, just thinking about it makes me wonder if I should go through my freezer. You never know, there might be a tub of the delish chocolate buttercream lurking in there somewhere! Mmmm. And this is coming from someone who does not like buttercream.

Lightningale21 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 14

I would use a whipped chocolate ganache, then you can adjust the stiffness. Mmmmmm chocolate. icon_biggrin.gif

spoonfedcake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 14

I like to use duncan heines canned frosting and the back of a warm spoon. YUM-OH the sour cream frosting is so good. that cake looks good too.

dinas27 Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 3:03pm
post #14 of 14

i would also use a whipped semisweet chocolate ganache. I just used this in a grooms cake which had a rough icing look - havent posted the pics yet and you could definately get that look with it using a spoon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%