Oooooh, What To Do What To Dooooo.

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm by 7yyrt

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:48am
post #1 of 21

So my cousin wants me to make her wedding cake. My first one ever, and quite potentially the ugliest. Different tastes I guess. Anyhow, getting to the point... She wants a custom made monogram for the topper. Both of their names begin with R. So she wants them back to back. And the loops of the letters would essentially form a heart. I have tried several ways in different fonts. She wants it fancy. But I cannot fopr the life of me figure out how to make it look good. i think it looks horribly cheesy and just not pretty. Can any of you guys gals help me out. And she said if she doesnt find one, then she wants me to make it. I have looked online for places that do custom monograms and they are way expensive and she is on a budget. So, the call is out. Please help. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 21

Someone smart will help you but I would start with a heart and add the r parts y'know? As far as fancy, I would make it solid, secure and simple lines then cover it with srolls and stuff or a vine and little bitty flowers or something. Because trying to get a fancy font on top of the idea would make what she's trying to accomplish be rather indistinguishable. Just fancy it up with piping is my thought.

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 21

i know what you mean...my first wedding cake was my uncles (pink and black in my photos with the monogram letters)...I figured I did the best I could do considering that's what they wanted it to look like! Have you decided what you'll make the toper out of? I researched all kinds of fonts before I made that monogram, and i used gumpaste for it. that was more difficult to work with than I thought it would be, so the letters came out they way they came out. depending on what you use to make the monogram with, i think i would make several different varieties of R's and hearts and try putting them together and see what comes out best!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 21

Are you having a hard time making it come out nice, or you just cannot come up with the right letter style ?

would this help : http://www.embroideryfontshop.com/index.php

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:14pm
post #5 of 21

So there will be just 2 R's on the top of the cake?? If this is so give me a bit and I'll work on something for you. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 21

some basic ideas
LL

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 21

Oh, Doug, I like those. Here's what I came up with.
LL

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 21

....kind of the same.
LL

FromScratch Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #9 of 21

Okay.. here's what I came up with..
LL

bkdcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bkdcakes Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 7:38pm
post #10 of 21

jkalman - that is very pretty!

PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #11 of 21

The minute I started reading this I thought, "Bet Doug comes up with something," and WHOOP, there it is!

Gotta love Doug!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:34pm
post #12 of 21

I like all the samples, very creative.

But this is not the best idea I've ever heard of.
I mean which one is represented by the backwards one icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif :

FromScratch Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:37am
post #13 of 21

I agree k8.. I'm not lovin' the whole backwards letter thing either. Honestly I'd try to talk her out of it.. it looks awkward to me.

Zooie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zooie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:43am
post #14 of 21

How about the letters being slanted?
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #15 of 21

and where's the LAST name initial????

isn't it traditional to do center as Last name and then groom's and bride's first to either side????

----

jkalman wins for most ornate and prettiest --

but I have to agree....

this is a STRANGE, ok -- ugly, request!

Zooie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:05am
post #16 of 21

Fancied up a little from above pic. It would be perfect if their last initial were to be "A"... icon_lol.gif
LL

FromScratch Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:37am
post #17 of 21

It's pretty, but I have to struggle to see that it's two R's and not an A or a gothic looking symbol.

Man.. she had to go an make it all difficult. Maybe have her sketch out what is in her head??

Zooie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 1:41am
post #18 of 21

I'd have to agree with jkalman - it'll never be right unless she can give you some idea as to what she's looking for. Then again, maybe she doesn't know either...

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 2:01am
post #19 of 21

I did not know that the cake had a back and forward... do we not decorate the front to be the focal point? Why not do a lovely R and a shadow R in the back of it? It covers both monograms and provides an aesthetic look to the cake. Composition is the most important to the look of the cake and if it looks hokey, then it will be a hokey cake, no matter how great the rest of it is.

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:55am
post #20 of 21

Personally, I Really like jkalman's (6:29 a.m.) pic which could be behind a large letter '?' for the last name (what's their last initial?). I like curves, scroll and heart shapes anyhow. As long as they know what it is, that's what counts, besides there is a such thing as abstract art.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 1:55pm
post #21 of 21

Going in a slightly different direction, I found this.
Image http://text.glitter-graphics.net/heart/r.gif
Edited to add: I found this! Rambling font. I think that might work for you, I can see the heart in it.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%