Help!--I Think I Added Too Much Syrup To My Cake!

Decorating By Genny_yummies Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 1:40am by -K8memphis

Genny_yummies Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:39am
post #1 of 11

And now is falling apart when I'm trying to ice it. This is to be all BC, but it's just not even adhearing to the cake.
I'm I just out of luck? Does anyone know if I can fix this?
Please this cake is for my sister's baby shower this Saturday.

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:42am
post #2 of 11

Not sure what you mean by adding too much syrup.
It sounds like your icing is too thick. Not knowing anything about what your recipe is I'd suggest you try adding some more liquid to at least part of the icing to see if that helps.

Genny_yummies Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:49am
post #3 of 11

Sorry~!
I always add a simple syrup to my cakes. And I mean a bit, like more of a wet cake.
Well, I've never had this problem before.
But I just knew it was too wet, so instead of frosting the cake as usual, I put the BC on a bag and iced the cake with the basketweave tip (only tip I could find that was flat). And when I went to smooth it, well, the icing was coming up, and crumbs were getting everywhere.
Is there anything I could do?

gottabakenow Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:52am
post #4 of 11

rebake?

so sorry this happened, I really can't think of anything to fix it. good luck!

mjballinger Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:59am
post #5 of 11

I'm wondering if you refrigerate it a bit if it might firm the cake up and also make the syrup a little thicker, a little stickier so that the icing will stick better? Not sure, but it's my only thought. Good Luck!

Genny_yummies Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 11

I really don't want to re-bake.
This is only a 6" cake icon_cry.gif
Anyway that a baby stroller wouldn't look too weird without it's wheels?
icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I already have a 10" to frost tomorrow and well, I can just eat the other 6" that's okay.

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:18am
post #7 of 11

Wait wait--don't eat it. You can half the good one and use it for flatter wheels. If I understand correctly only one was over-syruped. Just cut the other in half so you have two shorter circles of cake for two flatter wheels.

Just some buggy thoughts for you.

Omicake Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:19am
post #8 of 11

I hope there isn't too much extra syrup and try this:

Scrape the BC off the cake and let that extra syrup continue to slip out for a while.Use a paper towel around and over the cake to absorb the syrup.Then I guess you'll be able to ice it.
HTH

jack109 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:21am
post #9 of 11

Sorry to hear about your cake, but the idea about cooling it sounds like a great idea.

I wanted to say to mjballinger good luck on your hernia surgery, my daughter just went through her second. The first was an inquinal when she was 4 and the second was a femural when she was 21, just 1 month ago. Hope you recover as quickly as she did.

Genny_yummies Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:23am
post #10 of 11

Thanks, Omicake and k8memphis.
I think I will call it off for tonight and try Omicake idea first, and if that doesn't work, I will go for k8memphis.
You guys are lifesavers.
I may be able to think better tomorrow.
But again---THANK YOU!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:40am
post #11 of 11

I hope it all works out.

If you go for the half cake--you could put it on a stack of cardboard circles if you had them and if the height was an important factor you wanted to deal/diddle with.

(another buggy thought)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%