Can I Use Colorflow!! Help!

Decorating By Lishylou Updated 4 Jul 2008 , 5:21am by JoAnnB

Lishylou Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:42pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a 50th wedding anniversary on Saturday and decided to use colorflow for the accent pieces. The cake will be gold and white, so I thought after I made the colorflow pieces I could paint them gold and then put the couples innitials on it and put them on the cake. I just finished the pieces and realized that water breaks down color flow???? Dang...what I want to do is paint it with the gold dust/mixed with vanilla. If I let the colorflow dry for two days will it still break down if I paint it? I am sick about this. If it will break down...what else could I do, because the accent pieces have to be gold. Please help.

6 replies
JoAnnB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 7

Lemon extract is alcohol based. Once the colorflow is dry, you should be able to paint it just fine. Just don't drown it. you might need to paint it more than once.

Lishylou Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:08pm
post #3 of 7

Lemon is but Vanilla isn't? Sorry....probably a dumb question.

HerBoudoir Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 7

It's the "extract" that's the key - no matter the flavor - the alcohol evaporates, so it dries faster.

You can also use vodka.

Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:35am
post #5 of 7

I tinted colorflow with a bit of red coloring since I like the effect of gold leaf on red paint. When it was dry I painted the piece with a mixture of lemon extract and gold luster dust. I was very happy with the results.

Lishylou Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 2:14am
post #6 of 7 I have Vanilla "Extract". That is or is not okay to use? I don't mind buying the lemon..I'll just need to find a place to get it. Sorry about all of the questions. I just don't have time to mess up. the cake above is beautiful as well.

JoAnnB Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:21am
post #7 of 7

clear vanilla is perfectly fine. I wouldn't use regular vanilla- because the color might interfere with the metallic shine.

You can also use alcohol - vodka works fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%