In Awe!

Decorating By ebear Updated 17 Jul 2008 , 5:39am by gscout73

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone..I just have to say..being fairly new to cake decorating I am in total AWE of the cakes I see on C.C daily. There are too many talented people on here to mention them all. I hope I can decorate as well as all
of you one day.
My one problem is...I have no artistic ability what so ever! So any tips you can pass along would be great! icon_smile.gif
Thanks

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:10pm
post #2 of 14

Everyone is artistic. Some people have not found thier unique outlet yet of course some people never will. But you gotta keep looking. Wanting it is like they say half the battle. I always say, You can do what you want to do. You can have what you want to have. The point of course is you gotta want it!

I have two ideas for you.

1.) Read Margaret Braun's book. She tells you where to get inspiration--which maybe you already knew that but anyway I still could not recommend her book more highly. You are not gonna learn technique from her necessarily.

2.) Also there is a wonderful wonderful book called, "An Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. It is brilliant.

The rest is up to you.

I would say do Julia's first. I think you will be really surprised and I think you will really like it. I mean just go dig around her web site, google it. There's a whole world of stuff out there, support groups and classes surrounding this author and her book.

Take Care.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 14

The best advice is practice and open yourself up to new ideas and give them a try!! The best way to learn a mistake is making one!! You will find after a while your style and comfort level will increase as you get better!!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:31am
post #4 of 14

Ebear, I felt the same way u did at one point. I've been decorating since July of last year and I thought I'd never be able to do the things that I saw on tv.....That was until I joined the CC family. Before all I did was the little characters and then when I came here I got alot of tips and I asked questions and since then I've tried alot of the things I saw here (purse cakes, helmet cake etc...) I always thought that you have to know how to draw in order to decorate nice cakes so I was too scared to go into decorating. My business has been booming ever since I joined CC a few months ago.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 5:34am
post #5 of 14

If u read alot of the articles here and forums trust me you would learn a whole lot and you would want to challenge yourself. You can do it!!! Before I try a cake, I pray and ask God to guide my hands. I know it sounds crazy but the bible says "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me". Sorry I'm a bit of a talker/typer : )

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 6:51am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivia

If u read alot of the articles here and forums trust me you would learn a whole lot and you would want to challenge yourself. You can do it!!! Before I try a cake, I pray and ask God to guide my hands. I know it sounds crazy but the bible says "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me". Sorry I'm a bit of a talker/typer : )

Love It! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 14

Hey, Kivia .. I do the same thing -- some cakes take a lot more prayer than others!!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:55pm
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

2.) Also there is a wonderful wonderful book called, "An Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron. It is brilliant.

I couldn't agree with k8memphis more...this is a wonderful book.

There is another, "Cracking Creativity: The Secrets of Creative Genius" by Michael Michalko that you might also find helpful. It is aimed at business people, but really applies to anyone who struggles with the belief that they aren't creative.

What it all boils down to is that becoming a "creative" person is all about opening doors that got closed somewhere along the way...fortunately, those doors are never really locked, just blocked...and they can be opened!

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 12:58pm
post #9 of 14

Hi ebear, as someone who thought she had no artistic ability whatsoever, I can testify that if I can decorate a cake anybody can. I can't even draw a stick person straight. I did have an interest in cake decorating and bought EVERY book I could find and visited a LOT of cake decorating websites. I

t took me several more years to pluck up the courage to make my first cake and I was soo scared! I was very surprised at the reaction I got from family and friends and that spurred me on. You're already half way there and all you need to do is practice, practice, practice and find your medium. You will surprise yourself at how well some cakes turn out and be bitterly disappointed in others but remember that we are our own worst critics. So pick up that piping bag and let rip!! Happy caking.

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 14

hi ebear,

ive started cake decor. as a hobby just a few months ago.i did take the first three wilton classes (which were really good to get started)but learned so much more since joining this web site. i agree with the others about practice,practice,practice! find some books,videos, ask questions here on cc and you'll be surprised what you can do.im still surprising myself with every cake that i do. its just so exciting to try something new!
hope you have as much fun as i am!

drgaddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drgaddy Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeWhizz

Hi ebear, as someone who thought she had no artistic ability whatsoever, I can testify that if I can decorate a cake anybody can. I can't even draw a stick person straight.

So true for me, too (especially the crooked stick people part...)! So, if I can do it, you can too!!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Quote:

My one problem is...I have no artistic ability what so ever!

Ebear- Unless your dream is to paint scenes on fondant covered cakes, don't worry about it. The best starting point is learning to get cakes level and frosted smoothly. (That is the core of good decorating and your blank canvas.) After that it is just a matter of practice, borders, flowers leaves etc. Try to imitate cakes you think attractive, and think about what makes this cake pretty and that one not so much. Eventually, you will figure out why certain designs work and others don't.

The great thing about non-professional decorating is that it really doesn't matter if your cakes are perfect or a duds; they still get eaten.

ebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ebear Posted 16 Jul 2008 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 14

Hi everyone..thanks for the nice words of encouragement. I guess I shouldnt underestimate myself. I DO have some artistic ability (I made my own wedding center pieces ..topiary trees) But when it comes to drawing..Forget it! I'd LOVE to learn how to make the fondant toppers..ie. people, animals etc. I don't think Michaels or Goldas have courses in something like that. I have gotten LOTS of great tips from C.C. One of these days I'll get around to posting some of my cakes on here.. icon_biggrin.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 17 Jul 2008 , 5:39am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebear

My one problem is...I have no artistic ability what so ever! .....
Thanks

Are you kidding?? I have zero artistic talent. But, I do enjoy being creative. I always knew most of cake decorating was knowing what tools to use and how to use them would result in fabulous cakes, cupcakes and cookies. Once you allow yourself the learning curve and practice cakes, you will surprise yourself and others with what you can turn out. thumbs_up.gif

Just remember, now that you're here, there is no turning back. You're one of us and addiction is inevitable. icon_twisted.gif Resistance is futile!!

Welcome to the club!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%