How Do I Whiten Swiss Meringue Buttercream?

Decorating By hubermomof4 Updated 9 Jul 2008 , 3:46am by Joyful1216

hubermomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hubermomof4 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 9

i bought the wilton white coloring to help whiten the swiss meringue buttercream i'll be using for a wedding cake... but it doesn' tell you how much to add. it says "add in small amounts". well i added a couple tsp to one batch and it didn't make much difference (i compared with another batch) but i'm afraid to compromise the stability of the icing if i add too much, it's pretty liquidy compared to gel coloring... anyone have any experience using this??? thank you ahead of time!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 9

The only thing I know is to beat it a looooooong time that will lighten it up as much as it's gonna lighten. It's just gonna be a passable darker white. I just tell my brides it's an off white but very bridal and the taste and texture is worth the slight trade off in color. "I mean it's food" I always say.

dawncr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawncr Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:18pm
post #3 of 9

HMom,

I haven't done this, so I don't know if it works. I saved a tip suggested by by someone here on CC. (Sorry to not give credit, but I can't remember who!)

She said that if one wanted whiter SMBC or IMBC, one could use organic butter, because it has fewer dyes and is a lighter color than regular butter. I don't know if this is the case, but I thought I'd try it next time I needed to buy butter.

HTH

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:33pm
post #4 of 9

Also, you could try the colorless vanilla. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if there is a taste difference. But if there isn't a difference, it might help with the color. HTH

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 9

People have suggested using a VERY small amount of violet coloring to "whiten" buttercream. I tried it once and wound up very pale lavender frosting. I guess my small amount wasn't 'very small' enough. But if you were very cautious, it might work.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:19am
post #6 of 9

Idea for adding small amounts of color.

Make a tid tad like a spoonful of really pale icing that color.

Use a dot of that icing.

Now I mean I don't do that to whiten my icing but that's a possibilibty to control adding a small small amount of a color.

hubermomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hubermomof4 Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 9

i will definitely try the organic butter and try adding the violet with a small batch of icing to experiment. thanks guys and gals!

ladybuglau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybuglau Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 7:29pm
post #8 of 9

just to add in my 2 cents- the clear vanilla extract DOES have a taste difference in something like frosting. I guess since it has so little other flavors, I can tell the difference. Some people really can't tell or don't really care. Maybe if it makes your frosting too thin you can beat in some powdered sugar to stiffen it back up?

Joyful1216 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joyful1216 Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 3:46am
post #9 of 9

I'm really interested in hearing how the violet works! I remember reading in Home Comforts that supposedly North Americans see a blue-white as a clean white and South Americans see a red-white as a clean white. I don't know how they studied that, but fun trivia. I am interested in how the violet works, it's like bluing laundry...sort of icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%