Never Under Estimate The Value Of A Good Crab Fork.

Lounge By Sugarflowers Updated 5 Jul 2008 , 4:20am by Sugarflowers

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 6

And never under estimate the strength of a cheap plastic trash can.

After closing the door to the laundry room, which leads into the garage, I went to take a shower. I thought to myself that I should leave the door open in case the washer gets out of balance and blocks the door. Nah! It'll be fine.

Not only did it get out of balance, it walked across the laundry room to completely block the door. I could open the door enough to see the knobs on the back of the washer! I tried to shove the washer with the door and only manage to budge it, the door knob was in the way and now dented. So I removed the door knob (viciously) in the hopes of getting enough space to push the washer far enough to get the door open enough to reach the hinge pins with a screwdriver. No luck. By this time I'm pretty aggravated and continued to shove violently on the door in an attempt to move the washer and dryer. This is where the cheap trash cans come into play. There WERE two small plastic trash cans between the dryer and the wall. They would not let the dryer move!

I'm beyond upset now. I've called my husband and he can't leave until 4 p.m. and it was noon. I can go out my front door, but I can't go through the garage because the keys to the door are still on the garage door. We didn't think we would ever need them. Wrong! I felt stuck and trapped. Although I really wasn't, I felt trapped. icon_eek.gif I got to thinking what would I do if my husband was out of town? So I kept working.

Anyway, the door still would not open enough to reach the hinge pins on the other side and all the screw drivers that might have fit in the narrow opening are in the garage. I call AAA because they will open a front door, so maybe they could open a garage door. No luck.

My next option is to find something that will pry the hinge pins so that I can remove the door. By this time I am sweating, my arms are bruised from trying to push the washer back into place but mostly smashing my arms. icon_cry.gif I start looking through my cake decorating tools and kitchen tools to see what I have. I find the crab forks. They are small enough to fit! icon_lol.gif But they were cheap and too weak to move the pins. icon_mad.gif After looking for something else, I find an older, better quality crab fork and try it. It's working ! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif With my small hammer and crab fork I manage to pry the hing pins out of the hinges. Several times I dropped the fork and almost couldn't retrieve it from between the door and the jamb. After working for an hour on all the various attempts, I get the door removed. It's still leaning against the wall and I'm considering not replacing it. icon_rolleyes.gif

After I make it out to the garage I immediately go to the garage door keys to put one on my key ring. They are very securely attached to the door. icon_mad.gif I've had enough. I'm not going to gently remove the keys from the ring, so I get my heavy-duty wire cutters and cut the stupid ring holding the keys. It was a tough ring, but I was mad, so I took it out on the ring and it snapped. icon_twisted.gif

That one little crab fork has a special place in my heart and in my tool box. The key is now on my key ring and the spare will be in a spot that can be easily accessed.

Let this be a lesson to anyone with a walk through laundry room. NEVER trust a washing machine to stay in place. icon_eek.gif

I hope you enjoyed the story. It's funny now, but it wasn't then! Thanks for letting me rant.

5 replies
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #2 of 6

ROFLMAO - tears streaming!

viva la crab fork!

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 6

I forgot to mention that I tried a broom handle to move the washer. It was metal and is now crimped. It did not help the situation at all.

Also in my attempt to move the washer a new box of hangers fell behind the washer. icon_cry.gif I was able to reach it, further bruising my arm and shoulder, with a few hangers falling out of the box. Sigh.

I was bound and determined to go have my special lunch after a bad week, go to the bank, and the grocery store. The house is littered with tools and parts, but I won! icon_twisted.gif

michellenj Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 1:58pm
post #4 of 6

Now I have never thought about my washing machine walking across the laundry room, I'll have to keep that in mind.
Good job with the crab fork! LOL

Go buy yourself some new shoes. You earned it.

sweetness_221 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 6

That is horrible! Although you did sound like McGyver trying to get the door open. Who knew a crab fork could be so helpful! thumbs_up.gif

Sugarflowers Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 4:20am
post #6 of 6

The door has been re-hung, only because our dog has to sleep in there since she is scared of everything and can't be trusted to be alone in the house. Tools are still scattered and the new door knob has yet to be installed.

You should see my arms! They look like I was beaten with a stick.

Sometimes I think I need to write a "You Won't Believe This!" book. I've snaked a sewer line and opened drain caps to get water draining again so that I could take a shower and then make a wedding cake. Lightning killed my dishwasher so I had to unplug it because it was smoking. There are also vehicle stories since childhood.

It seems crazy stuff happens to me all the time.

Oh, by the way, the key to the garage door only locks it to prevent people from using garage door openers to break into houses. I'm going to have to come up with a different backup plan. LOL

Thanks for reading this saga. At least I'll have a story to tell my grandkids. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%