Thought It Wouldn't Bug Me...

Decorating By JenWhitlock Updated 11 Jul 2008 , 12:45am by YouTakeTheCake

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:15pm
post #1 of 89

sorry, I need to have a little vent.
I wasn't going to let it bug me, but here it is a couple days later and it's still bugging me.

in reference to my Ariel cookies,

Quote:
Quote:

joniscakeandcandy says:
what's so creative about it, it was copied. can you say copyright infringement?

I know all about the copyright thing. I didn't sell the cookies I made them for the challenge and for my kids.
and how many people make character stuff for their kids?

also about the creativity thing. I don't think of myself as particularly creative (I think that I have a moment here or there once in a blue moon, but it's pretty rare) but so many people copy cakes from Wilton or others on this site - it's an awesome way to learn. so why the slam?

I was particularly proud of myself on these, as I was disapointed with a lot I've done lately, and for some dumb-irrational reason I am still bothered by this comment.
thank you for 'listening'

I know a few others have gotten rude comments like this, I'm wondering if there is a common link?

88 replies
Batter-UpBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Batter-UpBakery Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 89

I wouldnt give the poster of that comment another thought. Some people just have no class. I love you work bty.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 89

That cookie bouquet is great - beautiful work. You received a TON of great compliments and 34 people have tagged it as a favorite of theirs (nothing I have in my gallery even approaches 34 faves...) so I would focus on that. Try not to let that person's comment bother you so much - some people just are like that. I try to follow the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" philosohpy but not everyone feels that way. Focus on your great talent!

I noticed that member does not have any photos in their own gallery posted or a link to a website or anything like that. Hmmmm....

I really like CC for the mainly positive feedback and generosity that I usually see...can't help a few exceptions.

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #4 of 89

I agree with the others. All of your work is beautiful!! Many, many people get ideas from somewhere. They don't think it all up by themselves! I think it is a shame that someone joins and posts just to be hateful. I looked up the poster and they have made no posts or posted any picures. Probably someone with nothing better to do with their time.

I would probably do the same as you though, see all of the posts and that one little thing would keep nagging at me! Your work is great! Enjoy the compliments!

calynmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calynmom Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 89

Believe me that is not the norm. You rarely get anyone saying that sort of thing.

Everyone on here is very supportive of one another and I would not give it another thought.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:35pm
post #6 of 89

holy......crap. When I first read this, I assumed you were referencing another post where this bouquet was the subject and someone made that remark. I simply cannot fathom leaving that as the 'comment' in the photo gallery!!

Do not give it a second thought, however. All that person did is show themselves as tactless & rude. I thought the bouquet was awesome and very-well done. (How funny that you are the 'Dodger-cookie' person....those are my alltime favorite cookies!!)

EDITED TO ADD:

Did you notice the poster only signed up 3 days ago, on June 30th? They are most likely someone's alias and felt like stirring up some drama on the sly.....probably just to see a post like this. icon_rolleyes.gif Some people have a twisted sense of humor and WAY too much time on their hands!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 89

Batter-upBakery said it perfectly...some people have no class!! as a matter of fact I was going to PM you to tell you how fantastic your cookies are and to ask if you would share the template!!!icon_smile.gif

email me at [email protected]

Laurel

CristinaB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristinaB Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:39pm
post #8 of 89

Your work is gorgeous! I just checked out ALL of your photos! My daughter would LOVE an Ariel bouquet like that. I can't say I'd know where to start to make what you did!

Definitely ignore the comment. It's completely untrue (lack of creativity and copyright, as you know icon_smile.gif) Like I say to my kids, if they ignore someone who's not speaking to them nicely, they'll just go away!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #9 of 89

Some people thrive on being rude and hurting other peoples feelings. Evidently this person has nothing better to do with their time. Ignore them and they will go away.

J-me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J-me Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 89

Geez, I cannot believe someone said that. How rude. I love the cookies, I've never seen so much detail in a cookie before.
Try not to let that comment get to you. As you have probably already noticed, they have yet to upload a single picture. If they are so good, where's their creative pictures?! icon_wink.gif
Beautiful work....and many supporters of it!! That is what counts. Good job and I'm sure your kids just loved 'em.

veronica720 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veronica720 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #11 of 89

Here is the truth whether I offend some or not.....

SOME PEOPLE COMPLETELY SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the only type of person that would have the nerve to say something like that, is just jealous that they can't do it and they are just a complete *itch or a**hole.

I think the cookies look great and can only hope my would turn half as good

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #12 of 89

Jen, I have your name marked with a star in my special little book. The side note, I have put says , "beautiful cookies and cakes". I know your work is one I can go to for inspiration!!! And ideas!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Some people are just rude! thumbsdown.gif I always told my children, when they met people like this, I guess they didn't have a mother who taught them better!

But then again we don't want to blame everything on the moms. tapedshut.gif
*People do have to take responsibility for themselves.

2chae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2chae Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:47pm
post #13 of 89

Too Funny! I just saved your Party Drink Cookies to my favorites so I can "copy" them for some upcoming cookies! icon_lol.gif I think they are awesome!

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #14 of 89

they are great!! i know i couldn't do that..takes a lot of patience and steady hand i think. you did great..don't let anyone get you down..

you know the old saying: when someone puts another person down its because they don't feel good about themselves and are jealous.

adunfag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adunfag Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:48pm
post #15 of 89

Don't let that rude, uncouth, tactless person get to you. A comment like that could only be coming from a jealous, unpolished person. Who cares about copyright when you only made them for your children. All your work is amazingly brilliant. I could only wish to be that talented. For the life of me I can not understand why anyone would want to leave that comment.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:50pm
post #16 of 89

<sigh> I wish I had the skill to do half of it. VERY creative, and the bubbles were a cute touch.

Can you spell - J-E-A-L-O-U-S-Y? It even has a "lousy" in the middle---lol.

JenWhitlock Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 89

thank you all!
didn't want to admit to being an irrational woman, LOL
but I needed that!

kiddykakes, Ariel and friends came from the Disney colorpages:
http://disney.go.com/magicartist/coloring/mermaid/index.html

angelcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelcakes5 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #18 of 89

I can't beleive they would even leave that comment. If you can't say anything nice then don't say anything at all. Your work is beautiful and amazing!!!! And I agree with other posters they have no work in their profile. I would love to see them try that. I bet they don't even decorate!

sunsecret Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunsecret Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 89

I'm sorry you had this happen. I wish I had all that talent. thumbs_up.gif I get excited thinking I might even get a "good try" comment on any of my cakes. You did awesome. Someone is just jealous. It's sad, but another CC'er could have even made a 2nd screen name just to be mean to others out of spite. Again, I'm sorry. Awesome talent!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:01pm
post #20 of 89

Hey that was just rude! I looked at your cookies when they were on the 'favorites of the day'. Very, very impressive.

Uhm -- if you google the commentor -- there is a website -- she may have a few of those infringement issues herself. Not saying she does for positive -- but depending on how she did or obtained certain logos -- or if she consumed that cake herself or sold it.

But you keep up the great work -- and keep inspiring all of us beginnig cookie makers!! We have to have someone to look up to and to strive for!

Suze

lepaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lepaz Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:09pm
post #21 of 89

Wow, not cool.
I'm sorry this happened to you, it sounds like someone who is not happy with herself and her work and has to be cruel to someone else to make herself feel better (it probably didn't work). Who ever you made these cookies for is none of her business and she needs to butt out and worry about her own mess in her kitchen. It's sad that you see this behavior in older adults when you would expect to see it on the playground (she needs a time-out).
It's ok, vent all you want, it will help to get it out, we've got a big enough shoulder here icon_wink.gif

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:09pm
post #22 of 89

Your bouquet was awsome, and I guess that person was just feeling awful and wanted you to feel that way too. I will be looking forward to seeing more like those.

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:14pm
post #23 of 89

Forget them. The cookies are beautiful. You did a great job.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:19pm
post #24 of 89

Jen-
Your bouquet is awesome! Some people are just obnoxious! Did you find Sebastian somewhere other than those coloring pages, or am I just blind?

sunsecret- If you want people to be able to leave you comments, you need to go into your profile and check the box that allows people to leave them. I'm sure that that is why you haven't gotten any yet. HTH!

JenWhitlock Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:25pm
post #25 of 89

suzycakes, I found that website too.
I also saw that their are similar screen names with no photos or posts created about once a month for the past year. probably not related, but if someone else had a comment like this, I was curious if it was one of the other screen names.

toodlesjupiter, Ariel and Flounder are on the same page, Sebastian is on a page next to it where Ariel is 'bent over' (sorry that sounds a little weird)

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #26 of 89

Jen..Your cookies are absolutely Fantastic! You should be proud !J-E-A-L-O-U-S-Y is what I see from that comment.Keep up the great work !

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:26pm
post #27 of 89

I am with the others. Those are AMAZING, and any person, big or little, would be LUCKY to be the recipient (sp?) of those! I wish that I had half the talent or patience! That poster... is why I hate people.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:38pm
post #28 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenWhitlock

suzycakes, I found that website too.
I also saw that their are similar screen names with no photos or posts created about once a month for the past year. probably not related, but if someone else had a comment like this, I was curious if it was one of the other screen names..............

I remember that I got a cryptic comment under one of my cakes and I've seen once in a long while stuff like that under other people's gallery photos and it's alway by someone who has no 'history' here - recently signed up and contributed nothing and never seen or heard from again.

So definitely don't give it another thought. Your bouquet is awesome and I left you a NICE comment. icon_biggrin.gif

mcelromi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcelromi1 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:44pm
post #29 of 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Did you notice the poster only signed up 3 days ago, on June 30th? They are most likely someone's alias and felt like stirring up some drama on the sly.....probably just to see a post like this. icon_rolleyes.gif Some people have a twisted sense of humor and WAY too much time on their hands!

Exactly the point I was about to make.
This seems to be a regular who signed up under an alias specifically to leave a nasty little (unecessary) commit without out getting backlash.

Childish an very, very inmature.

The bouquet is awsome. And VERY creative. The fact that you saw the coloring page and came up with the idea shows that you're more creative than you thought you were.

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:56pm
post #30 of 89

This b*tch probably just needs a Lobotomy. icon_razz.gif

Sometimes when people like what they see, they criticize only because they are jealous. icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%