Fondant Cake Covered Storage.

Decorating By sweetlady29 Updated 8 Jul 2008 , 12:20am by tonedna

sweetlady29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlady29 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 13

I covered 2 cakes in fondant a day early, because I didn't have time to decorate them. I filled them with BC. I have them covered with towels, sitting out on the counter. I don't think I'm supposed to refrigerate them, but they will have to be sitting out all day today and tomorrow. I don't want them to dry out. What should I do? icon_cry.gif

12 replies
BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:13pm
post #2 of 13

I have refrigerated mine. I put a paper towel over the top of the fondant (if it hasn't been airbrushed) to collect any condensation, then wrap the cake in saran wrap. Never had a problem with it.

1BAKED453 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1BAKED453 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 13

HI SWEETLADY 29.I'M NEW TO CAKE DECORATING SO I DON'T HAVE ALOT OF EXPERIENCE,BUT I HAVE TAKEN A CAKE DECORATING CLASS & WAS TOLD THAT FONDANT ALLOWS NO TO VERY LITTLE AIR TO COME IN CONTACT WITH THE CAKE ITSELF, & THAT IT JUST LIKE PUTTING THE CAKE IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER.THAT, I'VE BEEN TOLD IS ONE WAY TO DETERMINE HOW LONG A CAKE WILL STAY FRESH FOR IE. IF IT STAYS FRESH FOR A WEEK IN AN AIRTIGHT CONTAINER THEN IT SHOULD ALSO STAY FRESH FOR ABOUT A WEEK WHEN COVERED WITH FONDANT.SO THE SHORT OF IT , IT SHOULD BE O.K IF IT IS DONE ONLY ONE DAY EARLIER.WHAT FILLING ARE YOU USING THAT NEEDS TO BE REFRIGERATED?BRANDISBAKED, ANY IDEA IF FREEZING (A WHITE FONDANT COVERED CAKE WITH BLACK FONDANT CUT OUT DESIGNS ) CAN CAUSE BLEEDING OF DARK COLOURS WHEN THE CAKE THAWS?

BrandisBaked Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:22am
post #4 of 13

I have never tried freezing fondant covered cakes - so I couldn't say one way or the other. Sorry. If it's something you have to do, I would recommend not thawing at room temperature though... you'd have better luck putting it in the fridge and letting it defrost slower. You're going to condensation from the air, not from the fondant itself.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:28am
post #5 of 13

You can leave the cake sitting out in an Air conditioned room, with nothing on it with no problem. I often have my cakes sitting for 1-2 days when they are covered with fondant. Just dont have it near a sunny window (maybe put it in a box) No need to cover it with plastic, towels, anything.

BrandisBaked Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 12:31am
post #6 of 13

I think she said she didn't want the fondant to dry out though... which it will if left out at room temp.

Cruz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cruz Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #7 of 13

Wrap the cakes with saran wrap and a damp towel, that will keep it from drying out. Then you can finish decorating later.

Also, I've been told that you can refrigerate fondant cakes but they have to be boxed and saran wrapped. Haven't tested it myself though.[/list]

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:45am
post #8 of 13

I always just put my fondant decorated cakes right on the shelf in an empty fridge that I keep for cakes. Not boxed, not covered, and never have any problems.

But I'm not in a humid area, either...

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 5:48am
post #9 of 13

I have been using plastic hair nets, the ones they use when you get your hair dyed, clean of course. They work great on single layer cakes! I think it is glad that makes some that are for bowl covers, the elastic around the edge makes it so easy!

sweetlady29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlady29 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:24pm
post #10 of 13

The cake turned out just fine. I kept it out on the counter.
Thanks all!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #11 of 13

Has anyone tried the shower caps from a hotel? They make great covers!

mw902 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mw902 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutie

Has anyone tried the shower caps from a hotel? They make great covers!

Thats what mine are not nets, what was I thinking????

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 12:20am
post #13 of 13

I leave them outside with no problem..they dont dry out...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%