How Would You Do This?

Decorating By poshcakedesigns Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm by poshcakedesigns

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 8

I have a bride that is getting married in November and we have decided that she will need enough cake for 100 people. More guest will be there but she's thinking like me that not everyone will eat the cake since she is serving a large meal.

When we 1st meet she wanted a 3 tier square cake (o.k. can do that to feed 100). Well now as a surprise for her groom she is wanting me to do a 3d dog cake for him.

Her concern and mine to is that will be too much cake. What would you offer to fix this? Not sure if I can talk her out of the 3 tiers but it may come down to that. Or is there another good way to divide this up she only wants cake for 100 and the cake has to be square and she definetly wants the grooms cake.

I've been racking my brain and thought maybe a fake lower tier if she still wants the 3 tiers and then the dog cake to make up the difference?

Any suggestions?

7 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:46pm
post #2 of 8

sounds like you came up with a good solution.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 8

Even if a large meal is being served, I would not feel safe assuming that some will not eat cake. My theory is that it is always better to make sure every one CAN have a serving than to HOPE that some will not want one.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:06pm
post #4 of 8

With the grooms cake I would definetly make a fake tier for her. I had a bride that wanted a four tiered cake and she was serving 125 people. So I made the top two tiers dummys and then the bottom two were cake. It worked out great and like jammjenks said, you have to make sure you have a piece for everyone. Whether or not they eat it is up to them but if you come up short then what is the venue suppose to say to her guests? Sorry, your table doesnt get cake because there wasnt enough to go around! No, that would be pretty tacky so make enough for everyone and give her a box to bring home any leftovers.

disubu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disubu Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #5 of 8

You also need to consider the work involved. Even if you are not going to make one of the tiers edible, you will still want to charge for it because it will require the same amount of work to decorate. I would suggest she serve enough cake for EVERYONE at the reception anyway. It's better to have too much than not enough!

confectioneista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectioneista Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:09pm
post #6 of 8

How big are you planning on making the groom's cake? It doesn't have to be that big, say enough to feed 20-30. Personally, I wouldn't downsize the wedding cake just because of the groom's cake. Some people may want one or the other, so now they have a choice....or some people may want both! And if there's any leftovers, you can bet that guests and family will be taking some home with them to enjoy later! So don't sweat it. It's a wedding...It's meant to be a grand event!!

Here's another rule of thumb (I used to do catering, so I lived by this): it's always better to have too much than not enough! HTH icon_wink.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:13pm
post #7 of 8

what flavor is the bride's cake?

i ask as if the bride's cake is the more traditional white then make the groom's chocolate.

and many will want a slice of both.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:41pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks everyone!!! I think I will tell her to be safe we should go with the 3 tiers and I'll make the 3d cake to serve around 20.

That way she should have enough cake for the amount of guest she'll have. She is set on 100 showing up but then you never know 70 might show up.

I knew I could count on you guys icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%