Best Cookie Recipes...what Do You Do?

Decorating By aa053103 Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm by aa053103

aa053103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aa053103 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:11pm
post #1 of 9

I want to start doing cookies but I want to hear from all of you what cookie recipe you use. Do you make sugar cookies, butter cookies, shortbread, etc? Which are the best to work with and the best tasting when covering and decorating them? Thanks for your help!!!

8 replies
aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 9

I love the NFSC (no fail sugar cookie) recipe from off here. It doesn't spread so it's perfect for me to use the cookie cutter to cut out RB (rolling buttercream) and lay on top for quick decoration instead of flooding. Then I accent with RI.

Some people flood with RI but that's too much work for me. I'm not that into cookies! icon_wink.gif

aa053103 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 9

Can I ask what is rolling buttercream?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa053103

RB is similar to fondant but tastes more like buttercream. It is less user friendly so I roll mine between sheets of parchment, cut using the cookie cutter, and then place it in the refrigerator.

I typically put the cookies in the oven and then do the RB. It's perfect timing!

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 9

the NFSC recipe is originaloly from www.kitchengifts.com. They have several other recipes for cut-out occkies, too (I think lemon, something pink, and chocolate).

I know a lot of people like Penny's recipe, which is very similar to the NFSC, but with milk in the recipe, andMartha Stewart's recipe is very similar also.

There are several posts about favorite cookie dough recipes for decorated cookies, so if you'd like more ideas, you might want to try a search on this site.

tchrmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tchrmom Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:57pm
post #6 of 9

I manage to "fail" with NFSC. I substitute 1 cup of shortening for 1 cup of butter, and then add more flour if needed for it to come together and behave like rolled cookie dough. It works much better for me. It spreads a VERY little-- just enough that if you do fondant to cover there is a little border around the edges. I did these yesterday and they turned out better than ever.

southerncake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by aswartzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa053103

RB is similar to fondant but tastes more like buttercream. It is less user friendly so I roll mine between sheets of parchment, cut using the cookie cutter, and then place it in the refrigerator.

I typically put the cookies in the oven and then do the RB. It's perfect timing!

I tried a couple of rolled buttercream recipes years ago, but it never quite worked out for me. Could you point me in the direction of a good recipe?

cwcopeland Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwcopeland Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #8 of 9

I like the NFSC and Penny's. The only difference is Penny's is a little softer because of the cream in the recipe.

I also like Toba's Glace to ice the cookies and RI to border or decorate.

One of these days I'm going to try the rolled buttercream. I bet it's even better (for my tastes).

aa053103 Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 6:21pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you all! I'm going to be doing some cookies this week for my friend who is engaged. I can't wait to try the NFSC. I still haven't decided whether to cover the cookies in fondant or try Antonia's royal icing. We shall see. Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%