Do Decorated Cookies Sell Well For You?

Business By littlecake Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm by GeminiRJ

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:04am
post #1 of 6

i have a few slow months, july and december...i was thinking of adding some decorated cookies on my slow times.

i had some really great tasting recipes i came up with last year, (not decorated)...my customers are so spoiled they have to have everything decorated.... icon_rolleyes.gif when they found out they weren't all purdy they didn't want them.

5 replies
CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 6:51am
post #2 of 6

nope. No one seems to want to pay more than a dollar for a cookie and since I follow the $ per inch, no way will they pay $3 for my decorated cookies. Even the cute Halloween ones - they were will to pay MAYBE $1.....for a 3 inch MMf covered and decorated cookie.....I'd rather live on Ramen than do cookies for that cheap. icon_lol.gif

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:35pm
post #3 of 6

I sell a lot of cookies during the summer. One customer orders cookies from me for all her kids' birthday parties. In the last two weeks, I've baked and decorated 400 cookies. I charge a little differently than anyone else I know, though... I charge per color. The more elaborately decorated the cookie is the more it costs the customer, and they understand it easily and are okay with it being their own choice to opt for a simpler cookie than a bells-and-whistles cookie. The base price is for up to three colors. I use royal icing for mine, so the cost for adding a drop or two of coloring to the icing and one more parchment bag is more than covered by the additional 20 cents per color per cookie that I add to the price.

HTH,
Deanna

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 3:23pm
post #4 of 6

My starting price is $15 per dozen. I have had a few people gasp at the price and even more who dont blink an eye. I do more cookies than cakes!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 6

I do cookie bouquets for the holidays. My prices start at $30 per dozen for 3 inch cookies and $35 if they are wrapped and tied with ribbon. For the holidays I make cookie bouquets for my co-workers with one 3-4 inch cookie and two 2-3 inch cookies for $15. They think my prices are high, but they will pay for cute. I still work full time, so I only have time to make about 20 bouquets or so. Some want more than 3 cookies and they go up $5 for each additional cookie.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 6

So much depends on what the market will bear, as well as the client. I've done some cookie orders for friends of friends, and they actually paid me more than what I quoted them! That's definitely not the norm, however.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%