What To Mix With Dust? How Much? How Does It Go On?

Decorating By Skirt Updated 3 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm by amysue99

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 5:48am
post #1 of 6

I normally look for what I'm looking for but after the 24 page BC post, my eyes hurt! Sooo, if someone could point to a link it would be much appreciated. I bought some silver luster (I think) dust but was not successful in getting it to show up on my cake. I mixed it with clear vanilla but had no idea how much liquid to use. I tried just sprinkling it on a cake. Nope. Help please. Thanks!

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:18am
post #2 of 6

Hi, when I use lustre dust, I mix it with Confectioner's Glaze. You have to mix it a little at a time, because the glaze evaporates really quickly. And you have to paint only one time on Fondant/ Gumpaste. And I like thickness of the mixture and it gives a lovely shine to the finished product. Lot of other members use clear alcohol, extracts and Everclear. But I haven't used them. So I don't know what the consistancy should be.

Do you want to paint it over already fondant covered cake?

HTH. icon_smile.gif

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 9:44am
post #3 of 6

When putting it on a buttercream frosted cake, I mix the dust with vodka and spray it on with my airbrush. It can also be dusted on using a large brush (like the kind you would use for face powder). To dust it, just tap some dust onto a plate or parchment paper and then dip your brush it in. Knock off the excess and start lightly brushing.

buttercream_dreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercream_dreams Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 11:31am
post #4 of 6

when you airbrush it on, does it come out brilliant? like, lets say you were spraying something nu silver, would it have that "real" look to it, that can be achieved from painting it on? where do you get confectioners glaze?
for those who airbrush, do you find that it ever gets clogged from the dusts?
do you think its just easier to buy the pre canned spray? and for thosepeople who useit on flowers and other embelishments, how do you go about steaming them, and can you do it with chalk (and lustre dust) already applied on, or does it only work with straight lustre/petal dust?
tia guys

Maria_Campos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maria_Campos Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 12:07pm
post #5 of 6

I use lemon extract because it contains the highest amount of alcohol (incase you don't want to buy vodka) to mix the luster dust to a thick milky consistancy, that is the method I use for the tassels and Tiara on my pillow cake, and fire truck and Witch King Cake, you should not have to paint several coats if you have the right consistancy one coat should do.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1232939.html

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:29pm
post #6 of 6

When airbrushing: The more coats, the more metallic the look. It does have to go on over a similarly colored icing. Silver sprayed over white will not be metallic looking. I've never had a clogging problem - just rinse out really well. I dont' do many fondant-covered cakes, so painting on isn't really an option for me. I haven't tried the canned spray, but I don't think it would be nearly as easy to control as an airbrush. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%