Used Wilton Hidden Pillars For The First Time-Great!

Decorating By cocobean Updated 13 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm by poshcakedesigns

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:28am
post #1 of 19

The Hidden Pillars from Wilton are kind of pricey but they work great. icon_cool.gif I first saw them when I was helping at a neighbors wedding. They ordered their cake from a local bakery. I was helping to cut it. The bakery had used these hidden pillars. They are quite big around (at least an inch) and hollow. Very sturdy! I also used a heavy plastic plate that has short little legs that fit into the pillars after I had pushed them into the cake. Loved that two. Also very expensive. The plate almost 5.00. Anyone else love these and use them?

18 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 8:01am
post #2 of 19

Do you mean the white plastic pillars that you cut to the right length with a serrated knife? I use those too. They're pricy, but not when you consider that you probably won't use more than one package per cake, and you can reuse the seperator plates over and over (don't put them in the dishwasher though). And not having the aggrivation of having to cut the wooden dowels is worth it too.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 19

Texas_Rose, if you use these and drop your cake off to the customer. Do you tell them these parts are not included in their cake price and they have to be returned or do you ever include them in your pricing for a cake and forget about the return? icon_confused.gif I'm delivering a wedding cake today with the items we have talked about. I never mentioned to her any thing about returning these. I figured since i did not discuss this before hand I will have to eat the cost and figure them into my cake price next time.

Juneclever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juneclever Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 19

I am getting ready to do a wedding cake for tomorrow using this system. It is originally called the English System for support in wedding cakes. I am using PVC pipe, which is cheaper. I measure and cut them, sand with a sander or by hand and run through the dishwasher. I tell the customer that I need to have them back, sometimes they don't even need cut the second or third time. The system is so sturdy, like a little table inside the cakes. No worries about shifting or falling apart.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 19

I would say that the seperator plates should be returned but I personally wouldn't want to bother with the plastic dowels. They always get cake stuck inside and it would be difficult for your customer to wash them out. If you use the pillars that don't go into the cake, the ones where there's a plate on top of the cake and then pillars and a plate with the next tier on top, then the pillars should be returned. If you put the top tier directly on the seperator plate (without a cake board) and they're freezing the top tier for the anniversary, then I think they'd need to keep the plate too.

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 3:56pm
post #6 of 19

so is this similar, or the same as that SPS system I keep hearing about?

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 4 Jul 2008 , 4:10pm
post #7 of 19

This is all I use anymore...... and I always ask for them back.......

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 1:38am
post #8 of 19

I really like the Wilton Hidden Pillars with the plastic separator plates. I always want people to return the plates. (I usually am there to cut the cake, so it has not been a problem getting everything back.)
I have been using the plates that are smooth around the edges. My cakes have been very stable so far.

-Debbie B.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 7:24am
post #9 of 19

I used the hidden pillars and oval separator plate with one of my cakes last year, and will be using it again next weekend. I felt like it was very stable, which was nice with having to transport the cake in a rainstorm on a windy mountain road.

I reuse the plate but not the pillars.

ctucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ctucker Posted 5 Jul 2008 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 19

Just a suggestion to the OP who was worried about losing her plates b/c they didnt discuss it with the couple earlier...

Why dont you mention it to them when you go to deliver or the next time you chat and offer a small discount on the next cake if they are returned.

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:25pm
post #11 of 19

I have used the hidden pillars for several years & LOVE them. I will not do a stacked cake without them. I have never asked for them back but I do get a deposit on the plates. Every cake I have done the pillars were returned with the plates.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 2:11am
post #12 of 19

Will this work the same as SPS? I used SPS for the first time this weekend, but those particular pillars were just about impossible to cut. If the Wilton ones will work the same, I would love to try it! Does anyone else know?

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 7 Jul 2008 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 19

BUMP, BUMP.....

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 8 Jul 2008 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 19

Does anyone use the pillars without the plastic separator plates (just using regular cake boards)? One of the ladies at the cake shop said that that is what they do. She said it worked fine and it's much cheaper. I'm doing this for my first wedding cake in a week and a half and am hoping it works ok. I will be transporting the layers seperately. Anyone else have experience doing it this way?

toodlesjupiter Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 3:37pm
post #15 of 19

Anyone?

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 3:12am
post #16 of 19

I've used the hidden pillars with just cardboard with no problems. The stacked package wedding cake in my photos is done with hidden pillars & cardboard. The bottom 2 layers were stacked & transported like that. The other tiers were transported without being stacked & were stacked at the venue. They sat there for several hours before the reception started with no issues.

I have done several smaller stacked cakes & used the hidden pillars and transported those with no problems. i can't say enough good things about the hidden pillars.

toodlesjupiter Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you lisascakes! I have my first wedding cake next weekend, and was planning on doing this, but wanted to make sure it would work ok.

LorienSkye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LorienSkye Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 7:42pm
post #18 of 19

I used the hidden pillars and separator plates 2 weekends ago for a wedding and LOVED the system. I did a "tower of roses" design, except with hydrangea and it was the perfect support system for the cake (in my photos). I really didn't want to mess around with 2 separator plates....I'll definitely be using this system for my next stacked/tiered cake! thumbs_up.gif

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 13 Jul 2008 , 10:46pm
post #19 of 19

I've never used this system before. When you transport your cakes that are 3 or 4 tiers high are you transporting them put together or in pieces? I currently use the dowel system but would like to find something not as expensive as the SPS and a little more sturdy. I'm a nervous wreck when I'm delivering stacked cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%