Bettercreme Under Fondant Final Answer?

Decorating By rsyedmd Updated 6 Jul 2008 , 9:10pm by JenniferMI

rsyedmd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsyedmd Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:22am
post #1 of 5

So I have done an extensive search on this topic, and have come up with people who have said that you can use bettercreme under fondant (rather than the traditional buttercream) and some that say you can't.

What is the final anwer regarding this? And if you think you can't--have you actually tried and it didn't work, or are you "supposing"

I am looking for that "light whipped taste", with a light vanilla cake, and plan to use the bettecreme as filling with fresh strawberries. I need the fondant covering for getting the finish to decroate. Does a vanilla genoise also hold up to fondant?

Thanks!!

4 replies
melkneec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melkneec Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:38am
post #2 of 5

Sorry I can't be of help but would also like to know this. icon_smile.gif Thank for the post.

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:47am
post #3 of 5

In my experience, fondant over bEttercream is not too good... it's soft and if you even touch it, the fingerprint stays because it just doesn't set up that well. We offer to fill and crum-coat it witn BEttercream but it always gets a smooth bUttercream final coat because it sets up hard enough that you get time to get the fondant picture perfect.... BUT

If you beat the BEttercream to death and its more like spackle than icing, you may be able to fondant it.... but it just won't be as good.... HTH

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 8:55pm
post #4 of 5

anyone else have two cents to add?

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Jul 2008 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 5

I like to use a firm bodied icing under my choc. fondant.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%