No Cake For Me!

Decorating By bizatchgirl Updated 10 Jul 2008 , 4:33am by bizatchgirl

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:20am
post #1 of 10

I have a milk allergy that has recently blown up. I am still eating an occsional dairy product. We work in a fairly small office and a fellow CCer made the best cherry chip cake with buttercream filling and MMF. It was wonderful but made me cough so much I disturbed half the building. My boss told me no more milk at work. I can live without milk in general but how can anyone expect me to give up cakes icon_cry.gif I could experiment with some milk free recipes but I'm not a scratch baker and I'm always doing cakes for others, not for me. I can't see learning new recipes just for me. icon_cry.gif My boss was nice about it, and is only looking out for me but I wanted to call her the Cake Nazi (like the Seinfeld Soup Nazi). No cake for you! icon_evil.gif

9 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:25am
post #2 of 10

If they took chocolate away form me, I would die. Maybe try soy milk, I don't even know if that's possible.

cakequeen50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakequeen50 Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 4:07am
post #3 of 10

check this out. I had a client who couldn't have milk and found that DH classic vanilla, has none.

http://www.keepingthecastle.com/dairy-free-cake-mixes-from-duncan-hines/

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 10

That has to suck! I'm sorry icon_sad.gif

But try substituting vanilla soy milk in scratch mixes? I'm slightly lactose intolerant, so unless I'm drinking a glass of milk with the cake, it doesn't get to me much. :/

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 3 Jul 2008 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 10

Ouch, that stinks....but there is a light at the end of the tunnel....
Duncan Hines devil's food does not have milk in it either.
and yes, you can sub soy milk (vanilla is tastiest) for regular, I'll bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference either. I have a co-worker that is vegan and so I make vegan cupcakes for her all of the time. SO easy!

Try this chocolate cupcake recipe:
Makes 1 dozen.

1 1/2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners; set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together oil, vinegar, vanilla, and water until well combined. Add flour mixture to the mixer and mix until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a spatula as necessary. Batter should look and feel more watery than normal cake batters.

Pour batter into prepared muffin tin, filling each cup 1/2 to 3/4 full. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean, 20 minutes.

Immediately remove cupcakes from muffin tin and transfer to a wire rack. Let cool completely before frosting.

bizatchgirl Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 5:39am
post #6 of 10

I wasn't getting notices on this so I thought no one was replying icon_cry.gif I should have checked, as I know how great you all are!!! Thank you for the link and thank you cupcakemkr for the recipe. I will have to try it soon!!!

thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 7:16am
post #7 of 10

I am lactose intolerant, and I use lactaid or soy milk in my cake recipes, never had a problem. I recently bought a book, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, a lot of CCer's recommend it and it has tons of recipes (you can use the recipes for regular cakes too) and they are truly dairy free, also has some great buttercreams and fillings like chocolate mousse icon_smile.gif

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 8:04am
post #8 of 10

Hi i have a friend who's daughter has a real bad dairy allergy and other allergies too so we are very concious when they come to stay anyway when i bake their bday cakes i use water instead of milk and i use dairy free margarine instead of butter both in the cake and for the buttercream icing.

Good luck in finding one that will suit you you pooooor thing sad when you cant even have any of your own baking...

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 9 Jul 2008 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 10

i only use soymilk or rice milk in my baking. it works finnnneee.

bizatchgirl Posted 10 Jul 2008 , 4:33am
post #10 of 10

Thank you everyone for lots of great ideas! I tried some goat cheese today and I think maybe I'm ok with that. I wonder what people would think if I started baking cakes with goat milk icon_confused.gif I guess if I'm baking them for me, I'll put whatever I want in them and people can either eat them or not icon_lol.gif I'll have to check out the Vegan cupcake book. My sister and mom are vegetarian, so it won't hurt to have more recipes on hand for them too!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%